atom feed1 message in org.apache.incubator.devicemap-devLog capture prototype
FromSent OnAttachments
Bertrand DelacretazMar 6, 2012 5:44 am
Subject:Log capture prototype
From:Bertrand Delacretaz (bdel@apache.org)
Date:Mar 6, 2012 5:44:47 am
List:org.apache.incubator.devicemap-dev

Hi,

I've created a basic prototype for capturing device information in server logs, at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/prototypes/logcapture/index.html

The httpd.conf file in the same folder contains an example httpd config that provides information like this in /tmp/devicemap_access.log (all on one log line):

"GET /devicemap.png?dmap=1 &screen.width=1752 &screen.height=875 &screen.colorDepth=32 &screen.pixelDepth=32 &html5.audio.play=true &html5.video.play=true HTTP/1.1" _DMAP: x-wap-profile="http://www.htcmms.com.tw/Android/Common/DesireZ/ua-profile.xml" UA="Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; fr-gb; HTC_DesireZ_A7272 Build/GRI40)..."

By running this on a devicemap server (or any other server - *.apache.org maybe), we can start capturing information when people to visit a page that includes the logcapture.js script found in the same folder (that script can be improved of course).

There's no privacy issue IMO if we collect just the above parameters, and throw away client IP, referrer and other potentially sensitive information.

We can then parse those logs and process to generate devicemap repository data.

WDYT?

-Bertrand