atom feed8 messages in org.apache.hadoop.hbase-userHBase, Hive, Pig and other Hadoop bas...
FromSent OnAttachments
Naama KrausSep 3, 2008 5:04 am
Jeff HammerbacherSep 3, 2008 7:41 am
Yair Even-ZoharSep 4, 2008 9:06 pm
Billy PearsonSep 5, 2008 1:23 am
Yair Even-ZoharSep 5, 2008 7:19 am
Naama KrausSep 8, 2008 12:59 am
Jim KellermanSep 8, 2008 9:08 am
Naama KrausSep 8, 2008 12:43 pm
Subject:HBase, Hive, Pig and other Hadoop based technologies
From:Naama Kraus (naam@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 3, 2008 5:04:22 am
List:org.apache.hadoop.hbase-user

Hi,

There are various technologies on top of Hadoop such as HBase, Hive, Pig and more. I was wondering what are the differences between them. What are the usage scenarios that fit each one of them.

For instance, is it true to say that Pig and Hive belong to the same family ? Or is Hive more close to HBase ? My understanding is that HBase allows direct lookup and low latency queries, while Pig and Hive provide batch processing operations which are M/R based. Both define a data model and an SQL-like query language. Is this true ?

Could anyone shed light on when to use each technology ? Main differences ? Pros and Cons ? Information on other technologies such as Jaql is also welcome.

Thanks, Naama