atom feed7 messages in net.clamav.lists.clamav-users[clamav-users] 10 years of ClamAV
FromSent OnAttachments
Tomasz KojmJun 19, 2012 6:52 am
Steve BasfordJun 19, 2012 7:35 am
Odhiambo WashingtonJun 19, 2012 10:09 am
Gianluigi TiesiJun 19, 2012 2:28 pm
Rob SterenborgJun 20, 2012 2:37 am
Dennis PetersonJun 20, 2012 2:23 pm
Michael WuJun 21, 2012 11:13 pm
Subject:[clamav-users] 10 years of ClamAV
From:Tomasz Kojm (toma@gmail.com)
Date:Jun 19, 2012 6:52:35 am
List:net.clamav.lists.clamav-users

Dear ClamAV Users,

This year, ClamAV celebrates its 10th anniversary. The first release was on May 8, 2002, and included the basic command line scanner “clamscan” and database update tool “freshclam”. With your help, the project that started as a hobby has become a complete antivirus solution and one of the most popular Open Source security tools. Today, ClamAV has more than 2 million active installations and scans hundreds of millions of files every day.

We are incredibly proud of this project and of the development work we have been able to do since joining Sourcefire via acquisition in 2007. We’ve had the opportunity to build out the bytecode engine and logical signatures, and implement dozens of other major improvements that make ClamAV a powerful tool.

While we are incredibly proud of this, it is time for us to make a change. ClamAV is now mature software and we are confident that Sourcefire will successfully continue its development, move it forward and maintain the integrity of its infrastructure. Matt Watchinski, who has headed Sourcefire’s Vulnerability Research Team (VRT™) for 10 years, will continue to lead this project. Joel Esler, the company's Open Source community manager, will also be your main point of contact and advocate.

We cannot fully express how grateful we are to all of the people, organizations and companies that have supported us and who will continue to support the project. This includes all the individuals who have contributed virus signatures and the developers who have contributed code to ClamAV throughout the years, the public mirrors that host our virus databases worldwide, the entities that hosted our web site, nameservers and build farm; the developers and package maintainers who have integrated ClamAV into various Open Source products and distributions and, of course, the Open Source community as a whole.

Finally, we would like to thank all who have trusted ClamAV for scanning and protecting some of the most valuable data on their networks.

Sincerely,

_______________________________________________ Help us build a comprehensive ClamAV guide: visit http://wiki.clamav.net http://www.clamav.net/support/ml