atom feed16 messages in org.codehaus.jetty.dev[jetty-dev] [DISCUSS] Jetty 6.2 or 7....
FromSent OnAttachments
Russell E GlaueJan 23, 2009 8:20 am
Jesse McConnellJan 23, 2009 8:37 am
Russell E GlaueJan 23, 2009 9:27 am
Jesse McConnellJan 23, 2009 9:30 am
Russell E GlaueJan 23, 2009 9:49 am
Greg WilkinsJan 24, 2009 7:16 am
Greg WilkinsJan 24, 2009 7:21 am
Russell E GlaueJan 26, 2009 9:53 am
Jan BartelJan 26, 2009 10:21 am
Ceki GulcuJan 26, 2009 11:31 am
Russell E GlaueJan 26, 2009 12:48 pm
Russell E GlaueJan 27, 2009 9:47 am
Jan BartelJan 27, 2009 9:55 am
Russell E GlaueJan 27, 2009 11:56 am
Jesse McConnellJan 27, 2009 12:00 pm
Subject:[jetty-dev] [DISCUSS] Jetty 6.2 or 7.0 for new features?
From:Russell E Glaue (rgl@cait.org)
Date:Jan 23, 2009 8:20:25 am
List:org.codehaus.jetty.dev

I am not sure if it is best to add upgrades to libraries in the current 6.1 release. So if there is to be a suggested Improvement upgrade for a library, would the target version be 6.2 or 7.0 ? Or is the 6.1 version an acceptable target for a library upgrade and new
feature?

Jetty6.1 currently has slf4j 1.3.1 library support. I have added a JIRA for Jetty7 to support the latest slf4j 1.5.x, http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-865

If there is going to be a 6.2 release of Jetty, I'd like to add an Improvement JIRA issue to upgrade slf4j libraries in Jetty6.2. Of course an upgrade to slf4j 1.5.x is most desirable, but I think even an upgrade to 1.4.x would be good.

The Geronimo 2.1.3 release that uses Jetty 6.1.7 implements slf4j version 1.4.3 (it strips out the older 1.3.1). So I imagine there should not be any trouble in at least upgrading Jetty6 to 1.4.x.

Also, on the same note, I would like to request an Improvement JIRA issue to support logback, http://logback.qos.ch/

The reasoning for this improvement is to take advantage of a more enterprise worthy access logging capability. And logback already has Jetty support! http://logback.qos.ch/access.html#jetty

As an intended replacement to log4j, logback supports many logging options including FILE, SYSLOG, SMTP, SOCKET, JMS, and many many more (see: http://logback.qos.ch/manual/appenders.html).

I believe that to add logback support would boost Jetty's immediate marketing image and deployability as a capable application that could support enterprise logging strategies.

All that is necessary is to include two logback libraries into the Jetty distribution: logback-core and logback-access (preferably the latest 0.9.x). And then upgrade the Jetty documentation a little more (See current Wiki documentation here: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Logging+Requests - as discussed in http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JETTY-835).

And FYI, these two libraries are not dependent on or related to any SLF4J version, and their inclusion would not break anything.

-RG