atom feed6 messages in org.apache.incubator.kafka-usersWhat are the most significant differe...
FromSent OnAttachments
howard chenOct 8, 2012 9:08 am
Evan ChanOct 8, 2012 9:48 am
Jay KrepsOct 9, 2012 8:47 am
Jun RaoOct 9, 2012 10:33 am
howard chenOct 9, 2012 10:06 pm
Felix GVOct 18, 2012 1:26 pm
Subject:What are the most significant differences between kestrel and kafka?
From:howard chen (howa@gmail.com)
Date:Oct 8, 2012 9:08:34 am
List:org.apache.incubator.kafka-users

Hi,

Someone asked in Quora (http://www.quora.com/Apache-Kafka/What-are-the-most-significant-differences-between-kestrel-and-kafka) and I found this question is particularly interesting, since not many people has the experience in dealing with these systems.

My understanding is as following, so pls correct me if I am wrong:

Same: - Both are durable and queue's size is limited by disk storage instead of memory - There are both very fast

Difference:

- No strict ordering kestrel - Not transactional for kestrel - No unique delivery guarantee for kestrel - No zookeeper coordination for kestrel

So it seems to me that kafka is a more complete solution for message streaming solution while kestrel is a simplistic implementation of message queue, am I right?

Anything to add? Thanks.