atom feed7 messages in org.apache.legal-discussGithub pull requests vs JIRA checkbox
FromSent OnAttachments
Martijn DashorstApr 3, 2012 2:03 am
Marvin HumphreyApr 3, 2012 3:45 am
Martijn DashorstApr 3, 2012 4:45 am
Marvin HumphreyApr 3, 2012 12:02 pm
Paul DavisApr 3, 2012 12:19 pm
Jukka ZittingApr 3, 2012 1:02 pm
Marvin HumphreyApr 3, 2012 3:10 pm
Subject:Github pull requests vs JIRA checkbox
From:Martijn Dashorst (mart@gmail.com)
Date:Apr 3, 2012 2:03:21 am
List:org.apache.legal-discuss

All,

I've searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to a question that is asked in our community (and others I presume):

 Are github.com pull requests an approved equivalent of the JIRA checkbox [+patch] in stating that the contribution is intended for inclusion?

There are enough discussions on members@ where heated pro- and anti- git/github fights have been done, but these are not a definitive source for the answers I'm looking for.

IMO there are several scenarios that are in play:

1. Given that a contributor has *not* filed an ICLA

    a. Is a pull request created by contributor, *not* sent to the dev@ list enough to satisfy our need for approval of inclusion of the work?

    b. Is a pull request created by contributor, sent to the dev@ list enough to satisfy our need for approval of inclusion of the work?

    c. Is a JIRA ticket with a comment pointing to the pull request enough to satisfy our needs?

2. Given that a contributor has filed an ICLA

    a. Is a pull request created by contributor, *not* sent to the dev@ list enough to satisfy our need for approval of inclusion of the work?

    b. Is a pull request created by contributor, sent to the dev@ list enough to satisfy our need for approval of inclusion of the work?

    c. Is a JIRA ticket with a comment pointing to the pull request enough to satisfy our needs?

In my IANAL opinion, 1a, 2a, and 1c, 2c are not transparent enough and don't provide enough archival means for us to track the contribution. 1b and 2b should satisfy the same requirements as a JIRA ticket with patch and checkbox.

Can someone from the legal committee please provide clarity in these situations?

Many thanks!