atom feed1 message in org.xwiki.devs[xwiki-devs] [Brainstorming] Default ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)Mar 25, 2013 12:12 pm
Subject:[xwiki-devs] [Brainstorming] Default Flavors Proposals
From:Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) (vali@gmail.com)
Date:Mar 25, 2013 12:12:14 pm
List:org.xwiki.devs

Hi,

I've investigated a bit what use cases could be used inside XWiki for and I've came up with:

- Documentation Flavor http://markmail.org/thread/cvfzvwv6dnhkimuy - Groupware Flavor http://markmail.org/thread/mzby6ofaunrsxpun - Public WebSite Flavor http://markmail.org/thread/fgpzoxtdw2jgrrvl - Application Development Flavor http://markmail.org/thread/ion37cj7zb255j3d

XWiki can be used for many things and the ones above are just the ones I've investigated recently. This mail acts like a collection of the flavors already proposed and should also gather other proposals/ideas for use cases you find interesting. One thing to have in mind is the flavor's ideas should be generic enough in order to be proposed in the sub-wiki creation process (marginal/very specific flavors should be discussed in another thread and would be of interest if we are gonna implement the Flavor Creator).

The features described in the Flavors can have 5 states: - Mandatory: the feature is mandatory for the described flavor and needs to be installed; - Optional: the feature could be of interest for some sub-use cases of the described flavor. A solution to have optional features would be to customize what extensions you install in the creation process (http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Improvements/Flavours/customizedInstall.png) or to have Disabled/Enabled states for installed extensions (http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-5704). - Default: the feature is bundled by default in XE. This means is tested and supported. If we are gonna create default Flavors, some features might be present just in the related flavors (like Annotations), and not by default, but right now they are default. - Extension: the feature is available as an extension. If the feature has both 'Default' and 'Extension' it means that some functionality is available by default, while additional functionality is available through extensions (one example is the Export: by default we can export in PDF, HTML, etc. but there are extensions that provide Multipage PDF Export or Export in other formats like Excel, etc.) - Custom: Custom means that the feature will have specific differences from the variant is available now. For example, in a Documentation Flavor we will need some custom templates; or the Macros categories should contain macros specially created for content creation.

Each proposal describes the contained features and also provides a summary at the end, example http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/DocumentationFlavor#HFeaturesSummary

Your feedback is welcomed.

Thanks, Caty