atom feed3 messages in org.apache.legal-discussSufficient rights for a software grant
FromSent OnAttachments
Jukka ZittingMar 12, 2008 11:20 am
Niall PembertonAug 13, 2008 5:59 am
Sam RubyAug 19, 2008 6:55 am
Subject:Sufficient rights for a software grant
From:Jukka Zitting (jukk@gmail.com)
Date:Mar 12, 2008 11:20:15 am
List:org.apache.legal-discuss

Hi,

The PDFBox project is entering Apache through the Incubator, and we're expecting the source code to be migrated here. We'll be getting software grants from all the key developers, but there are a lot of small contributions made over time by a number of people whom we may no longer be able to contact.

The project has always been BSD-licensed and some time ago as a part of another license review Ben Litchfield, the original author of PDFBox, even managed to contact most or all the contributors for a confirmation that their contributions were meant to be BSD-licensed. I'm not sure if there's a good paper trail of those confirmations.

Does this mean that Ben and the other key developers have "sufficient rights" as mentioned on the software grant form to grant a license to all of the PDFBox code to Apache, or do we have to contact all the contributors for separate grants?

BR,