atom feed17 messages in org.apache.legal-discussRe: CMaps for PDF CJK Fonts (LEGAL-36)
FromSent OnAttachments
Henri YandellOct 5, 2008 11:26 pm
Geir Magnusson Jr.Oct 6, 2008 2:34 am
Henri YandellOct 6, 2008 1:27 pm
Jukka ZittingOct 6, 2008 2:22 pm
Lawrence RosenOct 6, 2008 3:54 pm
Geir Magnusson Jr.Oct 6, 2008 8:43 pm
Henri YandellOct 6, 2008 9:38 pm
Henri YandellOct 6, 2008 9:44 pm
William A. Rowe, Jr.Oct 7, 2008 12:13 am
Jukka ZittingOct 7, 2008 12:46 am
Lawrence RosenOct 7, 2008 10:53 am
Jukka ZittingOct 10, 2008 5:07 pm
Lawrence RosenOct 10, 2008 5:42 pm
Henri YandellOct 12, 2008 5:26 pm
Jukka ZittingOct 13, 2008 2:55 am
Jukka ZittingNov 27, 2008 3:21 pm
Jukka ZittingDec 3, 2008 2:16 pm
Subject:Re: CMaps for PDF CJK Fonts (LEGAL-36)
From:Jukka Zitting (jukk@gmail.com)
Date:Dec 3, 2008 2:16:52 pm
List:org.apache.legal-discuss

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukk@gmail.com> wrote:

I'll report back again when I have some results.

I contacted Adobe legal directly about this and they pointed me to the patent pledge Adobe has made to ISO for the ISO 32000-1 standard (PDF 1.7). Their words: "Adobe has provided a patent pledge to ISO which states that Adobe will grant a fee and royalty free license to an unrestricted number of applicants on a worldwide, non-discriminatory basis and under other reasonable terms and conditions to make, use, and sell implementations of PDF 1.7 (ISO 32000-1)."

Apart from the specific patents listed at [1] they didn't want to provide a fixed list of Adobe's patents (or pending patents) that cover PDF because "exactly what any given pending patent covers may be quite an arguable topic" and "the list might be ever changing".

I guess that's fine and that the ISO 32000-1 patent pledge should cover our needs and the needs of our downstream users on this matter. WDYT?

I'll forward their entire response to legal-internal@ for future record.

[1] http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/topic_legal_notices.html

BR,