atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
48 earlier messages
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:37 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:57 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 1:00 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 1:23 pm
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 1:40 pm
Mischa TuffieldNov 4, 2010 2:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:10 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:11 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 3:24 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 3:27 pm
Melvin CarvalhoNov 4, 2010 3:48 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:32 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:43 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 5:42 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 7:29 pm
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:28 am
Michael HausenblasNov 5, 2010 2:29 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:34 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:37 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:42 am
William WaitesNov 5, 2010 2:54 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 2:57 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:05 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:12 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:17 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:24 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:34 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:40 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:57 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:59 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 4:02 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 4:15 am
Mischa TuffieldNov 5, 2010 4:47 am
Norman GrayNov 5, 2010 5:11 am
Dave ReynoldsNov 5, 2010 5:38 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:52 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:57 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:00 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:33 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
David WoodNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 7:27 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 8:12 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 8:18 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 8:40 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 9:36 am
53 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:William Waites (ww@styx.org)
Date:Nov 5, 2010 2:54:04 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:34:43AM +0000, Leigh Dodds wrote:

Are you suggesting that Linked Data crawlers could/should look at the status code and use that to infer new statements about the resources returned? If so, I think that's the first time I've seen that mentioned, and am curious as to why someone would do it. Surely all of the useful information is in the data itself.

Provenance and debugging. It would be quite possible to record the fact that this set of triples, G, were obtained by dereferencing this uri N, at a certain time, from a certain place, with a request that looked like this and a response that had these headers and response code. The class of information that is kept for [0]. If N appeared in G, that could lead directly to inferences involving the provenance information. If later reasoning is concerned at all with the trustworthiness or up-to-dateness of the data it could look at this as well.

Keeping this quantity of information around might quickly turn out to be too data-intensive to be practical, but that's more of an engineering question. I think it does make some sense to do this in principle at least.

Cheers, -w

[0] http://river.styx.org/ww/2010/10/corscheck