atom feed5 messages in org.apache.ofbiz.userRe: globally enable-audit-log
FromSent OnAttachments
chris snowDec 18, 2009 2:52 am
Jacques Le RouxDec 18, 2009 3:14 am
Christopher SnowDec 18, 2009 3:16 am
Jacques Le RouxDec 18, 2009 4:32 am
David E JonesDec 18, 2009 8:44 am
Subject:Re: globally enable-audit-log
From:David E Jones (de@me.com)
Date:Dec 18, 2009 8:44:24 am
List:org.apache.ofbiz.user

You could certainly change the code to treat all fields as audited, and the
easiest place is in the parser code. In fact, you may be able to change the
entitymodel.xsd file to change the default from false to true.

Of course, I do NOT recommend doing this in a production environment until you
know what you're getting into. I've certainly worked with people who said they
wanted to audit log everything, but they really hadn't thought it through. What
happens is far more system problems, load on the system, enormous amounts of
data, and about 99% of the fields (not just the data which can be useful for
auditing when you don't know what the threat is, but actual fields) with audit
data are NEVER used or looked at, and by that I mean that no report or anything
is ever even written to do anything with it, and no one ever looks at the data
(except maybe to check that it is being recorded).

Sometimes people argue that you need all of this historical data because you
don't know where a threat might come in and you need to be able to audit
everything. That's a bit silly because most information just isn't that
important. I suppose in certain industries keeping a good audit log for
everything might be an issue, but still probably not everything.

Anyway, give it a try and run it in a simulated production environment (ie with
load tests and such) and you'll see.

-David