atom feed7 messages in org.apache.legal-discussRe: Do README files need Apache licen...
FromSent OnAttachments
Rick HillegasAug 8, 2008 9:29 am
Craig L RussellAug 8, 2008 9:47 am
Roy T. FieldingAug 8, 2008 2:13 pm
Sam RubyAug 8, 2008 4:24 pm
Garrett RooneyAug 8, 2008 4:33 pm
Assaf ArkinAug 8, 2008 8:03 pm
Henri YandellAug 14, 2008 12:53 pm
Subject:Re: Do README files need Apache license headers?
From:Sam Ruby (rub@intertwingly.net)
Date:Aug 8, 2008 4:24:02 pm
List:org.apache.legal-discuss

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fiel@gbiv.com> wrote:

On Aug 8, 2008, at 9:47 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

Anything that has intellectual property content must have the Apache license header.

I don't think we need to be so absolute. The primary purpose of the header is documentation of the fact that the original content within the file has been licensed for redistribution, cut-n-paste, etc. I often just include a description of the license within the README, which serves the same purpose but is talking about the license that applies to the package as a whole (including the README).

There is another value that I wouldn't minimize - in a recent copyright/license issue, it was helpful that I could point to the overt act where employees of the corporation involved had removed assertions of ASF copyright.

....Roy