atom feed5 messages in org.postgresql.pgsql-interfacesRe: [INTERFACES] Use ecpg
FromSent OnAttachments
Margarita BarvinokJan 28, 1999 7:16 am
James ThompsonJan 28, 1999 8:36 am
Michael MeskesJan 28, 1999 10:58 am
Michael MeskesJan 28, 1999 10:20 pm
Margarita BarvinokJan 29, 1999 6:38 am
Subject:Re: [INTERFACES] Use ecpg
From:James Thompson (jam@math.ksu.edu)
Date:Jan 28, 1999 8:36:30 am
List:org.postgresql.pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Margarita Barvinok wrote:

Hello All,

I just began to use postgresql-6.4.2 and ecpg (version: 2.4.4). I try t precompile simple code ( I took it from a book) and get this error message: prog:17: parse error Perhaps this is stupid error, but I have no idea what to do, because I don't have good manual on Embedded SQL. Can I find somewhere documentation on C-Embedded SQL?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been using the Oracle Pro*C precompiler manual. I don't have the URL here at work but I found an online copy using www.google.com

/* set error handler to bail out if we can't connect */ EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR { /* LINE 17 */ printError(); return FAILURE; };

I don't think this will work. I think you need to define an action for the ecpg parser. I asked one of the authors about the sqlerror option and here's a snippet from the e-mail I got this morning

<snip>

interested in the actions to whenever sqlerror. I tried to look in the preproc.y file but I have no idea what I'm looking at. I saw a DO and a CALL but can't find out what they mean.

The following actions are defined:

continue sqlprint stop goto label go to label do break do function(parameter) call function(parameter)

</snip>

For me, the best documentation has been the test progs bundled in the postgresql distro. From memory the location is

postgresql-6.4.2/src/interfaces/ecpg/test

or something like that. There are two test programs and a preformace program.

Hope this helps. I you'd be so kind, mail me and let me know how things work out, I'm working on error handling tonight.