I understand that there will be some discussion about establishing a
maintenance agency for SC4 reference data at the next SC4 meeting.
I think it would be useful for the TOG to agree a PLCS position on this that
can be put forward by which ever PLCS TOG member will be at the meeting.
My view is:
1) PLCS intends to develop and publish reference data as a standard.
2) PLCS recognizes that a number of industries and projects will develop
extensions to the standard reference data for their own purposes. This does
not need to be made into a normative standard.
3) PLCS intends to make the standard reference data freely available.
This includes the development, standardization, publication and subsequent use
of the reference data.
4) PLCS intends to use a standardization organization that supports this
model. Currently, OASIS bests fits this.
5) If ISO change their approach to allow pojnt 3), then PLCS will
standardize the reference data though SC4 and the maintenance agency.
Obviously there are other issues in terms of the business model to support the
maintenance and development of the reference data. I don't have an answer to
that. But I am believe that charging people to use reference data will not
provide sufficient funding and will add another barrier to the take up of the
As I said, this is my opinion. What does everyone else think? Can the TOG
agree a position on this and can someone who is attending the meeting present
I also believe that we should continue to put pressure on ISO to allow the SC4
standards to be freely available - but that is another topic J