atom feed24 messages in org.kde.kde-core-develRe: Native gettext support for Qt (wa...
FromSent OnAttachments
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 3:04 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 6, 2011 3:17 pm
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 4:14 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 6, 2011 4:26 pm
Kevin OttensJun 6, 2011 4:38 pm
Inge WallinJun 6, 2011 11:39 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 7, 2011 12:46 am
Aaron J. SeigoJun 7, 2011 1:21 am
Manuel "Sput" NickschasJun 7, 2011 2:51 am
Andreas PakulatJun 7, 2011 3:39 am
John LaytJun 7, 2011 3:41 am
John LaytJun 7, 2011 4:20 am
Albert Astals CidJun 7, 2011 10:57 am
MarkJun 8, 2011 11:48 am
John LaytJun 8, 2011 12:27 pm
John LaytJun 8, 2011 12:27 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 8, 2011 1:29 pm
Ingo KlöckerJun 26, 2011 12:45 pm
Albert Astals CidJun 26, 2011 1:12 pm
Ingo KlöckerJun 27, 2011 1:18 pm
Aaron J. SeigoJun 28, 2011 9:27 am
John LaytJun 28, 2011 2:57 pm
Nicolás AlvarezJul 2, 2011 7:31 pm
David JarvieJul 5, 2011 4:18 am
Subject:Re: Native gettext support for Qt (was: Intended organization of KDE Frameworks)
From:Andreas Pakulat (apa@gmx.de)
Date:Jun 7, 2011 3:39:38 am
List:org.kde.kde-core-devel

On 07.06.11 11:51:29, Manuel "Sput" Nickschas wrote:

On Tuesday 07 June 2011 08:46:54 Albert Astals Cid wrote:

This means that if you want Tier 1 frameworks to be translatable you need either to teach Qt to understand gettext files natively or to make Tier 1 frameworks use pure based Qt/Linguist solutions which does not fit either in what scripty is able to do neither in what our translators are used to.

Wouldn't that be a sane thing anyway? I never really understood why Qt needs to have its own, completely incompatible translation system while the rest of the world happily uses gettext. In Quassel, this has hurt us a lot because we cannot easily tap into existing translation teams and resources. As it turns out (and understandably so), translation teams like that of KDE have their established workflows centered around gettext, and are not too willing to start using Linguist or other tools to translate an application that is Qt- based.

One reason I guess is that gettext is only easily available on Linux/*nix, but at least on Windows and MacOSX is an unknown thing. So by having their own solution Qt apps work the same way on all platforms.

Andreas