atom feed7 messages in ru.sysoev.nginxRe: Question about ETag header?
FromSent OnAttachments
Aleksandar LazicDec 15, 2006 12:47 am
Ezra ZygmuntowiczDec 15, 2006 12:32 pm
Igor SysoevDec 15, 2006 1:40 pm
Aleksandar LazicDec 15, 2006 2:10 pm
Igor SysoevDec 15, 2006 11:27 pm
Aleksandar LazicDec 16, 2006 10:13 am
Igor SysoevDec 16, 2006 11:01 am
Subject:Re: Question about ETag header?
From:Igor Sysoev (is-G@public.gmane.org)
Date:Dec 16, 2006 11:01:05 am
List:ru.sysoev.nginx

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:

On Sam 16.12.2006 10:27, Igor Sysoev wrote:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:

I'am not sure if it's good or bad also how helpfull it really is, maybe someone on the list could help to understand this ;-)?!

I saw that browsers and cache proxies use Last-Modified as tag but not as time value. If they want to revalidate response, they send If-Modified-Since with the same value as they have received. MSIE adds ", length=XXXX" string. nginx gets time in seconds from IMS header and does IMS == LM comparsion, but not "IMS <= LM" comparsion to return 304.

Sorry but, the ETag is a addon for the LM and IMS as I have right understand the rfc2616.

Yes, it's addition, but I do not see any ETag benefits over LM for static files.