atom feed3 messages in org.freebsd.freebsd-currentProblem SOLVED - Fwd: FreeBSD5.2.1 - ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Louis HarveyFeb 13, 2005 8:14 am
Joseph KoshyFeb 13, 2005 7:43 pm
Louis HarveyFeb 15, 2005 4:51 am
Subject:Problem SOLVED - Fwd: FreeBSD5.2.1 - adduser pw: user 'user' disappeared during update
From:Louis Harvey (loui@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 15, 2005 4:51:58 am
List:org.freebsd.freebsd-current

My problem was resolved with the help of Joseph Koshy. Essentially, command:

pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

to generate a new /etc/passwd file subsequently allowed me to use program adduser successfully. I then added /usr/sbin to the path of user root, and could remove some wrong entries that were in my master.passwd file (with program rmuser <user>).

Thanks a lot to Mr Joseph Koshy

Louis Harvey

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Louis Harvey <loui@gmail.com> Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:28:48 -0500 Subject: FreeBSD5.2.1 - adduser pw: user 'user' disappeared during update To: free@freebsd.org

Hello !

For the first time after installing FreeBSD 5.2.1, I am trying to add a new user, but without success so far. I have tried many times (as root), with /usr/sbin/adduser and also with /stand/sysinstall > Configure > User Management > User (Add a new user to the system), but the operation seems fo fail at the end, when I give the final YES. I get the following error message:

pw: user 'user' disappeared during update

I have checked on the Web giving the error message as input to google, but got only one highly pertinent message. In the end, the guy says he re-installed FreeBSD, wihich I cannot do right now.

I checked with the command vipw, and emacs shows the lines corresponding to the users I attempted to create along with the other users I created at install time. There is no subdir under /home for my attempts at creating those users, nor can I log into the system with those users.

Please, could someone help me with this message?