atom feed17 messages in com.selenic.mercurial-develRe: Updating Mercurial: The Definitiv...
FromSent OnAttachments
Na'Tosha BardAug 4, 2011 11:21 am
Matt MackallAug 4, 2011 11:39 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 4, 2011 11:42 am
Augie FacklerAug 4, 2011 11:43 am
Augie FacklerAug 4, 2011 11:47 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 4, 2011 11:49 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 8, 2011 6:43 am
Matt MackallAug 8, 2011 10:59 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 8, 2011 11:00 am
Matt MackallAug 8, 2011 2:19 pm
Augie FacklerAug 17, 2011 11:07 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 22, 2011 1:45 pm
Greg WardAug 23, 2011 7:07 pm
Matt MackallAug 23, 2011 7:26 pm
Na'Tosha BardAug 24, 2011 2:55 am
Na'Tosha BardAug 24, 2011 3:00 am
Idan KamaraAug 28, 2011 3:48 am
Subject:Re: Updating Mercurial: The Definitive Guide
From:Na'Tosha Bard (nato@gmail.com)
Date:Aug 22, 2011 1:45:25 pm
List:com.selenic.mercurial-devel

Another thought that has occurred to me. Since we are aiming for largefiles' inclusion into Mercurial 2.0 in November, and we are aiming to complete the book for the 2.1 release in March, should we consider a section regarding largefiles in the hgbook?

I argue that this is relevant because Mercurial is unique in that it is, as far as I know, the only DVCS that provides a solution for users with very large binaries in their repositories. Such a solution opens the door to DVCS (and Mercurial in particular) for a new set of users -- a set of users that otherwise would be likely to turn away from DVCS solutions entirely. And since we want to present this as the "Definitive Guide" for new users, it seems appropriate to include a section in the book.

I'd propose that we omit the low-level technical gunk and simply describe largefiles from a high-level, end user perspective, as well as provide clear steps for what should be necessary to get a repo up and running with largefiles.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Na'Tosha