atom feed5 messages in org.python.python-listBrewster's Factor - was :Trouble runn...
FromSent OnAttachments
Laura CreightonMar 4, 2002 3:48 am
Anton VredegoorMar 4, 2002 1:50 pm
Bernard YueMar 4, 2002 11:38 pm
Bernard YueMar 5, 2002 12:08 am
Laura CreightonMar 6, 2002 5:32 am
Subject:Brewster's Factor - was :Trouble running programs
From:Bernard Yue (ber@3captus.com)
Date:Mar 5, 2002 12:08:02 am
List:org.python.python-list

Laura Creighton wrote:

Bernard Yue's sig is:

There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many facts. Try to find a pattern. Then make a wrong guess at the next fact; that's science. Three: Be aware that you live in a malevolent Universe controlled by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's Factor; that's engineering.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. -- Bertrand Russell

I wanted to know what Brewster's Factor was. I found out that the first part of the quote -- the bit that ends with Engineering should be attributed to Robert A. Heinlein (from The Number of the Beast).

Number of the Beast!!! Read the book but don't remember the quote <sigh>!! Thanks for the correction.

But the only Brewster Factors I can find have to do with polarised light, or English Chrisitian Revivalist Victorian political parties, neither of which I suspect is what I am looking for. Any ideas?

Laura, I believe you found what you have looking for. I think in the quote Brewster Factor is refering to Brewster Law. Which states that non-polarized light will be reflected as polarized light (a special case in reflection) and reflected and refracted light will be in right angle. I see this as an analogy to Engineering, in which a system only works under certain conditions (Brewster Angle) and failed to function otherwise (Murphy's Law). Robert A. Heinlein should be able to another the question, but we are nearly 14 years too late.

Laura Creighton

I love this newsgroup.

Bernie -- There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many facts. Try to find a pattern. Then make a wrong guess at the next fact; that's science. Three: Be aware that you live in a malevolent Universe controlled by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's Factor; that's engineering. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Laura Creighton wrote:

Bernard Yue's sig is:

There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many facts. Try to find a pattern. Then make a wrong guess at the next fact; that's science. Three: Be aware that you live in a malevolent Universe controlled by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's Factor; that's engineering.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. -- Bertrand Russell

I wanted to know what Brewster's Factor was. I found out that the first part of the quote -- the bit that ends with Engineering should be attributed to Robert A. Heinlein (from The Number of the Beast). But the only Brewster Factors I can find have to do with polarised light, or English Chrisitian Revivalist Victorian political parties, neither of which I suspect is what I am looking for. Any ideas?

-- There are three schools of magic. One: State a tautology, then ring the changes on its corollaries; that's philosophy. Two: Record many facts. Try to find a pattern. Then make a wrong guess at the next fact; that's science. Three: Be aware that you live in a malevolent Universe controlled by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's Factor; that's engineering. -- Robert A. Heinlein

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. -- Bertrand Russell

One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them, One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Redmond, where the Shadows lie.