atom feed11 messages in org.apache.incubator.cloudstack-devRe: CloudMonkey on PyPi
FromSent OnAttachments
Chip ChildersJun 3, 2013 1:37 pm
Rohit YadavJun 4, 2013 11:28 am
Chip ChildersJun 4, 2013 11:34 am
Rohit YadavJun 4, 2013 11:38 am
Chip ChildersJun 4, 2013 11:44 am
Rohit YadavJun 4, 2013 11:51 am
David NalleyJun 4, 2013 11:58 am
Chip ChildersJun 4, 2013 12:06 pm
David NalleyJun 4, 2013 12:09 pm
Chip ChildersJun 4, 2013 12:11 pm
David NalleyJun 4, 2013 12:14 pm
Subject:Re: CloudMonkey on PyPi
From:David Nalley (dav@gnsa.us)
Date:Jun 4, 2013 12:09:24 pm
List:org.apache.incubator.cloudstack-dev

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Chip Childers <chip@sungard.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 12:22:02AM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM, Chip Childers <chip@sungard.com>wrote:

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 12:09:21AM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Chip Childers < chip@sungard.com>wrote:

The problem I'm seeing is that -SNAPSHOT is a newer version than -0, so 4.1.0-0 (the one I published from the release) isn't being downloaded. Instead 4.1.0-SNAPSHOT-3 is the one that's pulled. Perhaps I'm just not configuring things right? Knowing your schedule, if you don't mind taking a look and letting me know if perhaps I've done something wrong, that would be helpful.

Yes, that's the expected behavior. To download the release version 4.1.0-0, one should do: pip install cloudmonkey==4.1.0-0 (or suitable version now and in future).

In my view, one should get the latest and greatest (almost stable) cloudmonkey and choose specific versions using == while installing.

If you want to enforce that, please go ahead the delete it. We can in that case ask users to get the latest from the git repo.

Cheers.

Yeah, but the SNAPSHOT version numbers represent incremental work towards the final release. I'm cool with the SNAPs. I'm just thinking that perhaps we need a scheme that allows the actual release version to be the "latest" if it is, in fact, the latest.

Anyone else have thoughts on the numbering scheme?

Unfortunately Pypi isn't the same as maven, in respecting the SNAPSHOT text in a certain way.

Yes, it tricky the problem will persist if I upload a 4.2-snaphost and won't allow the 4.1.0-0 to be downloaded. So, let's do one thing we want to make the pypi release channel to sync with the actual ACS release so let's remove all snapshots and ask users to get the latest from git repo. For snapshots we can have a parallel release channel called cloudmonkey-snapshot or something we can make where we can go ape crazy with latest releases (maybe everyday or week :), or people can go on create their own distros of cloudmonkey with different name and features :D (I once tried clouddonkey as the pkg name to release snapshots :P)

It's fine either ways and I trust your judgement Chip so please go ahead and enforce whatever behavior we want out of pypi, it's just a release channel.

Cheers.

OK, I've removed -SNAPSHOT from pypi. Let's consider breaking out cloudmonkey into it's own ASF release artifact... should be easily done actually. Then we can release on whatever schedule for that project that is warranted.

I like that idea - and honestly would prefer it be broken into it's own repo to make that easier. I wonder if we don't need to do that with Marvin as well.

--David