atom feed54 messages in org.apache.tomcat.usersHandling requests when under load - A...
FromSent OnAttachments
Asankha C. PereraOct 29, 2012 6:20 am
Christopher SchultzOct 29, 2012 9:12 am
Asankha C. PereraOct 29, 2012 9:28 am
Christopher SchultzOct 29, 2012 2:21 pm
Asankha C. PereraOct 29, 2012 8:56 pm
Christopher SchultzOct 31, 2012 8:56 am
Asankha C. PereraNov 1, 2012 12:38 am
Esmond PittNov 1, 2012 3:27 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 2, 2012 12:12 pm
Mark ThomasNov 2, 2012 12:51 pm
Christopher SchultzNov 2, 2012 1:30 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 5, 2012 5:36 am
Christopher SchultzNov 5, 2012 3:25 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 5, 2012 11:56 pm
Esmond PittNov 6, 2012 5:17 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 6, 2012 7:24 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 6, 2012 8:01 pm
Mark ThomasNov 6, 2012 10:22 pm
Mark ThomasNov 6, 2012 10:25 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 6, 2012 11:12 pm
Mark ThomasNov 6, 2012 11:37 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 7, 2012 7:18 am
Esmond PittNov 7, 2012 3:27 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 7, 2012 6:51 pm
Esmond PittNov 7, 2012 7:02 pm
Asankha C. PereraNov 7, 2012 7:35 pm
28 later messages
Subject:Handling requests when under load - ACCEPT and RST vs non-ACCEPT
From:Asankha C. Perera (asan@apache.org)
Date:Oct 29, 2012 6:20:03 am
List:org.apache.tomcat.users

Hi All

During some performance testing I've seen that Tomcat resets accepted TCP connections when under load. I had seen this previously too [1], but was not able to analyze the scenario in detail earlier.

As per this dump from Wireshark [2], it seemed like Tomcat ACKed the client request, accepted part of the request, and then suddenly decided to close the connection and hence RSTed it. What I would expect Tomcat to have done instead is to refuse a connection when under load, and not accept and RST. The problem occurs for a client that would not know if a RSTed connection could be safely retried. If the connection was not accepted, a fail-over is straight forward.

Hope to hear some details from the developer community, to understand this behavior better

regards asankha

[1] http://markmail.org/message/v7cpj6oqumtn5gtp [2] http://troll.ws/image/6b38f283

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com