atom feed56 messages in org.blender.bf-committersRe: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/...
FromSent OnAttachments
Sergey SharybinJan 4, 2012 11:57 am
Nathan LetworyJan 4, 2012 12:12 pm
Tobias KummerJan 4, 2012 6:45 pm
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 3:51 am
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 2:54 pm
Campbell BartonJan 6, 2012 4:07 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 12:20 pm
Francesco ZoffoliJan 6, 2012 4:03 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 5:34 pm
Przemyslaw GolabJan 7, 2012 12:40 am
Ton RoosendaalJan 7, 2012 3:30 am
skotiJan 7, 2012 5:03 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:06 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 8:29 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:07 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:23 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 9:46 am
skotiJan 7, 2012 10:15 am
Gaia ClaryJan 7, 2012 10:34 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 11:15 am
Alexandr KuznetsovJan 7, 2012 11:32 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:04 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:06 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 12:08 pm
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 12:13 pm
Sergey KurdakovJan 7, 2012 12:31 pm
SebastianJan 7, 2012 1:22 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 3:08 pm
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 3:24 pm
Campbell BartonJan 7, 2012 6:44 pm
26 later messages
Subject:Re: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout
From:Domino Marama (dom@dominodesigns.info)
Date:Jan 5, 2012 2:54:56 pm
List:org.blender.bf-committers

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 23:28 +0100, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

From the point of view of attracting more developers, a python importer seems the best solution, also since there's good python utility code already there from other IO addons. However from what I can see the bpycollada importer is still at prototype level.

One concern I have with the bpycollada importer is the use of numpy and datetime modules by pycollada which it's based on. Particularly numpy as it's use seems to be for things like matrix transforms and things that are already possible with bpy. Having an extra dependancy to duplicate features just seems wrong to me.. But the alternative is forking pycollada and rewriting a large chunk to use blender specific features.

pycollada also uses pil for some features and that's not available for python 3.. I've not looked closely at how much of a problem that would cause though.