atom feed95 messages in org.blender.bf-committersRe: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/...
FromSent OnAttachments
Sergey SharybinJan 4, 2012 11:57 am
Thomas DingesJan 4, 2012 12:07 pm
Nathan LetworyJan 4, 2012 12:12 pm
Peter AmstutzJan 4, 2012 1:34 pm
KnappJan 4, 2012 1:42 pm
Tobias KummerJan 4, 2012 6:45 pm
Campbell BartonJan 4, 2012 7:56 pm
Sergey SharybinJan 4, 2012 11:59 pm
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 3:51 am
Brecht Van LommelJan 5, 2012 2:27 pm
Domino MaramaJan 5, 2012 2:54 pm
Ton RoosendaalJan 6, 2012 2:58 am
Gaia ClaryJan 6, 2012 3:41 am
Sergey SharybinJan 6, 2012 3:48 am
Thomas DingesJan 6, 2012 3:51 am
Campbell BartonJan 6, 2012 4:07 am
KnappJan 6, 2012 10:51 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 12:20 pm
Francesco ZoffoliJan 6, 2012 4:03 pm
skotiJan 6, 2012 5:11 pm
Morten MikkelsenJan 6, 2012 5:34 pm
Przemyslaw GolabJan 7, 2012 12:40 am
Ton RoosendaalJan 7, 2012 3:30 am
skotiJan 7, 2012 5:03 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 6:49 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:06 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 7:38 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:49 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 7:51 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 8:22 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 8:29 am
Domino MaramaJan 7, 2012 9:03 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:07 am
Juan LinietskyJan 7, 2012 9:10 am
Erwin CoumansJan 7, 2012 9:23 am
Morten MikkelsenJan 7, 2012 9:46 am
59 later messages
Subject:Re: [Bf-committers] Collada importer/exporter kickout
From:Domino Marama (dom@dominodesigns.info)
Date:Jan 5, 2012 2:54:56 pm
List:org.blender.bf-committers

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 23:28 +0100, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

From the point of view of attracting more developers, a python importer seems the best solution, also since there's good python utility code already there from other IO addons. However from what I can see the bpycollada importer is still at prototype level.

One concern I have with the bpycollada importer is the use of numpy and datetime modules by pycollada which it's based on. Particularly numpy as it's use seems to be for things like matrix transforms and things that are already possible with bpy. Having an extra dependancy to duplicate features just seems wrong to me.. But the alternative is forking pycollada and rewriting a large chunk to use blender specific features.

pycollada also uses pil for some features and that's not available for python 3.. I've not looked closely at how much of a problem that would cause though.