|Mary McRae||Jan 2, 2008 1:55 pm|
|Subject:||XLIFF v1.2 Submitted for OASIS Standard|
|From:||Mary McRae (mary...@oasis-open.org)|
|Date:||Jan 2, 2008 1:55:53 pm|
The OASIS XML Localization Interchange File Format (XLIFF) Technical Committee has submitted the following specification set, which is an approved Committee Specification, to be considered as an OASIS Standard:
The text of the TC submission is appended.
You now have until 15 January to familiarize yourself with the submission and provide input to your organization's voting representative.
On 16 January, a Call For Vote will be issued to all Voting Representatives of OASIS member organizations. They will have until the last day of January, inclusive, to cast their ballots on whether this Committee Specification should be approved as an OASIS Standard or not.
Members who wish to discuss this ballot may do so through memb...@lists.oasis-open.org.
In accordance with the OASIS Technical Committee Process, this Committee Specification has already completed the necessary 60-day public review period as noted in the submission below.
The normative TC Process for approval of Committee Specifications as OASIS Standards is found at http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#3.4
Any statements related to the IPR of this specification are posted at: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/xliff/ipr.php
Your participation in the review and balloting process is greatly appreciated.
Mary P McRae Manager of TC Administration, OASIS email: mary...@oasis-open.org phone: 603.232.9090
(a) Committee Specifications and appropriate supplemental documentation
XLIFF 1.2 Committee Specification - (HTML) http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core.html - (PDF) http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core.pdf
XLIFF Schemas - Strict http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/cs02/xliff-core-1.2-strict.xsd
XLIFF-Related Documents: - Representation Guide for HTML - http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-html/xliff-profile-html-1.2- cd02.html http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-html/xliff-profile-html-1.2- cd02.pdf
- Representation Guide for Java Resource Bundles - http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-java/xliff-profile-java-v1.2 -cd02.html http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-java/xliff-profile-java-v1.2 -cd02.pdf
- Representation Guide for Gettext PO - http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-po/xliff-profile-po-1.2-cd02 .html http://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/xliff-profile-po/xliff-profile-po-1.2-cd02 .pdf
(b) Editable version of all files that are a part of the specification - See the links above to the HTML version of the Specification and Representation Guides
(c) Certification of XML validity (schemas, and samples) - TC certifies XML validity
(d) A clear English-language summary of the specification
The XLIFF 1.2 Specification defines the XML Localization Interchange File Format (XLIFF). The purpose of this vocabulary is to store localizable data and carry it from one step of the localization process to the other, while allowing interoperability between tools.
The specification is tool-neutral, supports the entire localization process, and supports common software, document data formats, and mark-up languages. The specification provides an extensibility mechanism to allow the development of tools compatible with an implementer's data formats and workflow requirements. The extensibility mechanism provides controlled inclusion of information not defined in the specification.
(e) Statement of the relationship of this specification to similar work of other OASIS TCs or other standards developing organizations
- XLIFF is an XML-based vocabulary (http://www.w3.org/XML/).
- XLIFF is represented in the DITA Translation Subcommittee, and will be featured in a translation best practices document (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=dita-translation).
- XLIFF has a working relationship with LISA/OSCAR standards related to Translation and Localization (http://www.lisa.org/), and is a requirement for several LISA standards like
- - TMX (http://www.lisa.org/standards/tmx/), Support XLIFF inline markup in TMX 2.0 is in progress at this moment (draft posted for public review).
- - GMX-V (http://www.lisa.org/standards/gmx/), XLIFF is a requirement
- - xml:tm (http://www.lisa.org/standards/xmltm/), XLIFF is a requirement
(f) Statements of Use
- Lionbridge Inc.- http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200709/msg00000.html - SDL International - http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200709/msg00001.html - OSCAR, LISA - http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200709/msg00002.html - Idiom Technologies Inc.- http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200709/msg00003.html - Localisation Research Centre (LRC), University of Limerick - http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff/200709/msg00004.html
(g) Public Review announcements and dates
- 60 day (14 July 2006, and ends 12 September 2006) http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200607/msg00002.html
- 15 day (5 January 2007, and ends 20 January 2007) http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200701/msg00003.html
- 15 day (2 May 2007, and ends 17 May 2007) most recent public review http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200705/msg00003.html
- comment (May 3 2007)- http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-comment/200705/msg00000.html - - resolution - In next release, reference to XML URL will not refer to a specific edition
(h) An account of and results of the voting to approve the specification as a Committee Specification
Opening: Monday, 16 July 2007 - Closing: Monday, 23 July 2007 Yes: 10, No: 0, Abstain: 0 http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/xliff/ballot.php?id=1338
(i) An account of or pointer to votes and comments received in any earlier attempts - N/A (no comments on earlier votes)
(j) A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xliff-comment/
(k) A pointer to any minority reports delivered by one or more Members - Chairs certify that no minority report exists