atom feed9 messages in org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocolsRe: [foaf-protocols] todo: smtp/pop p...
FromSent OnAttachments
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 9:59 am
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 10:07 am
Kingsley IdehenSep 3, 2010 10:54 am
NathanSep 3, 2010 10:59 am
Kingsley IdehenSep 3, 2010 11:03 am
Henry StorySep 3, 2010 11:05 am
Henry StorySep 4, 2010 10:28 am
Henry StorySep 6, 2010 5:33 am
Dan BrickleySep 6, 2010 5:52 am
Subject:Re: [foaf-protocols] todo: smtp/pop proxy for Web Mail
From:Henry Story (henr@bblfish.net)
Date:Sep 3, 2010 10:07:25 am
List:org.foaf-project.lists.foaf-protocols

On 3 Sep 2010, at 17:59, Henry Story wrote:

An idea: how to get rid of e-mail.

Blogging is like e-mail with access control. Post a blog entry that can be read
only by the people you intend to read using access control. Ping them.

Using http://esw.w3.org/Pingback or something similar.

They use WebID to authenticate and can read it, copying the entry over to their
store.

Result: secure e-mail that arrives in a couple of connections at its
destination.

Next: write a pop/smtp proxy, so that people can use their current e-mail
clients to do their work. Sending: When someone writes an email it is sent to the smtp server. If that
server has a webid-mail endpoint to ping it use the RESTful mail. If they don't
forward to a traditional smtp server Receiving: the proxy receives all traditional and WebId Mail, and presents it to
the client using a traditional SMTP service.

that should be a traditional POP or IMAP service of course.

Additional feature: Create a nice Web Interface so that you get webmail for
free.

Could also work with a WebID enabled RSS reader.

Henry

PS. I think I mentioned this before, but just talked about it at DERI, so it's
fresh in my mind.

Social Web Architect http://bblfish.net/