atom feed9 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.exist-openRe: [Exist-open] newbie question: git...
FromSent OnAttachments
Sara L. UckelmanApr 1, 2014 10:41 am
Dannes WesselsApr 1, 2014 11:13 am
wolf...@exist-db.orgApr 1, 2014 11:55 am
Sara L. UckelmanApr 1, 2014 11:59 am
wolf...@exist-db.orgApr 1, 2014 12:16 pm
Torsten SchaßanApr 2, 2014 1:45 am
wolf...@exist-db.orgApr 2, 2014 3:49 am
Sara L. UckelmanApr 2, 2014 6:04 am
Adam RetterApr 8, 2014 3:40 am
Subject:Re: [Exist-open] newbie question: git and eXist-db
From:wolf...@exist-db.org (wolf@exist-db.org)
Date:Apr 1, 2014 11:55:00 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.exist-open

Hi Sara,

as Dannes already said, eXist stores the data over various places and you should
not directly touch anything inside the data directory. Instead, you should
properly export your application out of the database. The easiest way to do this
on the laptop is to use the synchronize feature in eXide:

http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/development-starter.xml#D1.2.11

This will create a copy of everything in your app in a separate directory, which
you can then put under source control. Note that the synchronization is one way:
if you change files in the exported directory, you will have to re-import the
files or the entire app into the db.

My workflow usually is: I create a new app in eXide, do some first edits and
synchronize the entire app to a directory, which I then put into git. I continue
to develop inside the db and synchronize again when I think it’s time for
another commit. The advantage is that I can easily delete my app from the db
when I messed it up and re-import the xar from the directory on disk (calling
"ant" inside the directory will generate a .xar which can be uploaded again via
the dashboard).

Using other editors: if you would like to use vim for editing files inside the
database, I would recommend to mount the db via webdav. I do this quite often
and it is straightforward on a Mac. On Linux a mount does work equally well. I
will still use the synchronize workflow though.

Wolfgang

Am 01.04.2014 um 19:41 schrieb Sara L. Uckelman