atom feed111 messages in org.kernel.vger.gitRe: CRLF problems with Git on Win32
FromSent OnAttachments
48 earlier messages
Linus TorvaldsJan 8, 2008 12:41 pm
Dmitry PotapovJan 8, 2008 12:50 pm
Junio C HamanoJan 8, 2008 1:15 pm
Peter KarlssonJan 8, 2008 1:26 pm
Linus TorvaldsJan 8, 2008 1:31 pm
Dmitry PotapovJan 8, 2008 1:33 pm
Robin RosenbergJan 8, 2008 1:56 pm
SeanJan 8, 2008 2:09 pm
Dmitry PotapovJan 8, 2008 2:51 pm
Linus TorvaldsJan 8, 2008 4:01 pm
Junio C HamanoJan 9, 2008 12:03 am
Abdelrazak YounesJan 9, 2008 12:42 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 2:48 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 2:56 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 3:03 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 9, 2008 4:41 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 9, 2008 4:45 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 5:31 am
Gregory JefferisJan 9, 2008 5:52 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 6:03 am
Dmitry PotapovJan 9, 2008 7:02 am
Dmitry PotapovJan 9, 2008 7:21 am
Gregory JefferisJan 9, 2008 9:36 am
Jan HudecJan 9, 2008 10:46 am
Dmitry PotapovJan 9, 2008 11:04 am
Junio C HamanoJan 9, 2008 12:25 pm
Johannes SchindelinJan 9, 2008 12:50 pm
Steffen ProhaskaJan 9, 2008 1:03 pm
Peter KarlssonJan 10, 2008 1:24 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 10, 2008 3:57 am
Peter KarlssonJan 10, 2008 5:27 am
Peter HarrisJan 10, 2008 6:30 am
Gregory JefferisJan 10, 2008 11:58 am
Linus TorvaldsJan 10, 2008 12:19 pm
Rogan DawesJan 10, 2008 12:50 pm
Gregory JefferisJan 10, 2008 1:14 pm
Gregory JefferisJan 10, 2008 1:27 pm
Dmitry PotapovJan 10, 2008 3:23 pm
Linus TorvaldsJan 10, 2008 4:02 pm
Junio C HamanoJan 10, 2008 4:31 pm
Junio C HamanoJan 10, 2008 5:15 pm
Miles BaderJan 10, 2008 7:03 pm
Steffen ProhaskaJan 10, 2008 11:10 pm
Peter KarlssonJan 11, 2008 5:11 am
Peter HarrisJan 11, 2008 7:39 am
Linus TorvaldsJan 11, 2008 7:58 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 11, 2008 8:28 am
Linus TorvaldsJan 11, 2008 9:25 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 11, 2008 9:56 am
Linus TorvaldsJan 11, 2008 10:09 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 11, 2008 10:28 am
Gregory JefferisJan 11, 2008 11:00 am
Linus TorvaldsJan 11, 2008 11:15 am
Sam RavnborgJan 11, 2008 11:49 am
Christer WeinigelJan 11, 2008 11:53 am
Johannes SchindelinJan 11, 2008 1:18 pm
Sam RavnborgJan 11, 2008 2:21 pm
Dmitry PotapovJan 12, 2008 7:08 am
Dmitry PotapovJan 12, 2008 7:25 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 12, 2008 9:53 am
Dmitry PotapovJan 12, 2008 11:14 am
Steffen ProhaskaJan 13, 2008 1:04 am
David KågedalJan 14, 2008 1:41 am
Subject:Re: CRLF problems with Git on Win32
From:Linus Torvalds (torv@linux-foundation.org)
Date:Jan 11, 2008 10:09:37 am
List:org.kernel.vger.git

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Steffen Prohaska wrote:

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you in [1]. I thought your last point "Mixed Windows usage" meant what I have in mind: A user working in a mixed Windows/Unix environment who creates a file using Windows tools and commits it in the Unix environment. In this case the CRLF file will be transferred from Windows to Unix without git being involved. The right thing for git on Unix is to remove CRLF during a commit but still write only LF during check out. So autocrlf=input is the right choice.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize.

But yes, if you use a network share across windows and Unixand actually *share* the working tree over it, then yes, you'd want "autocrlf=input" on the unix side.

However, I think that falls under the "0.1%" case, not the "99.9%" case.

I realize that people probably do that more often with centralized systems, but with a distributed thing, it probably makes a *ton* more sense to have separate trees. But I could kind of see having a shared development directory and accessing it from different types of machines too.

I'd also bet that crlf behavior of git itself will be the *least* of your problems in that situation. You'd have all the *other* tools to worry about, and would probably be very aware indeed of any CRLF issues. So at that point, the "automatic" or default behaviour is probably not a big deal, because everything _else_ you do likely needs special effort too!

Linus