atom feed14 messages in org.isc.lists.dhcp-usersRE: Max num of static entries
FromSent OnAttachments
loganathan GovindarajAug 15, 2010 12:15 am
Marc PereaAug 16, 2010 7:25 am
loganathan GovindarajAug 16, 2010 7:47 am
patAug 16, 2010 7:50 am
Marc PereaAug 17, 2010 3:12 pm
Glenn SatchellAug 18, 2010 4:52 am
Marc PereaAug 18, 2010 6:41 am
Frank Bulk - iName.comAug 18, 2010 8:12 pm
Dave BrennerAug 18, 2010 9:31 pm
Marc PereaAug 19, 2010 11:52 am
Dave BrennerAug 19, 2010 12:51 pm
Dave BrennerAug 19, 2010 1:00 pm
Marc PereaAug 20, 2010 6:27 am
Dave BrennerAug 20, 2010 9:05 am
Subject:RE: Max num of static entries
From:Marc Perea (mar@srttel.com)
Date:Aug 18, 2010 6:41:23 am
List:org.isc.lists.dhcp-users

Hi Frank,

before v4.2.0 we were matching if agent.circuit-id existed and directly matched an ascii string that our access gear sent for a subscriber port, then we'd assgin an address from a specific pool with a range of 1 IP. It was clunky and painfully slow, but it worked and fit our requirements. That said, we were shopping around for a new DHCP server.

Then 4.2.0 came out and had a short snippet that said something like, -added the ability to match a host based on option information. I wondered what that meant and dug into some testing, and lo and behold, you can now match a host based on relay agent option 82 exactly like it was a host matched on mac address! It was revolutionary for us. Our homegrown provisioning system that was taking well over a minute per click (web form) is now down to just a few seconds (it talks to several servers). Prior to then it was waiting over a minute, in sequence (not multi-user friendly because of the single flat file) on DHCP to do provisioning because ISC can't handle config changes on the fly and requires a restart. That part hasn't changed, we still restart the service dozens, maybe hundreds of times per day, but it restarts now in under a second.

Anyways, the new syntax allows us to say, for example:

host 31052101 { host-identifier option agent.circuit-id "10.150.124.105:1-21-1-0-gbond-0-35"; fixed-address x.y.z.q; } #7017050083

Frank Bulk <fbu@mypremieronline.com> 8/17/2010 11:18 PM >>>

Remind me…if you’re not using class-based matching, how are you assigning statics? Some combination of Option 82 stuff? Frank