atom feed8 messages in com.googlegroups.sage-support[sage-support] Re: How can you read a...
FromSent OnAttachments
Fall In Love with SageFeb 5, 2009 11:11 am
David JoynerFeb 5, 2009 11:28 am
Fall In Love with SageFeb 5, 2009 11:48 am
David JoynerFeb 5, 2009 11:54 am
Fall In Love with SageFeb 5, 2009 12:10 pm
Marshall HamptonFeb 6, 2009 2:42 am
Jason GroutFeb 6, 2009 2:45 am
Marshall HamptonFeb 6, 2009 3:31 am
Subject:[sage-support] Re: How can you read a .txt/csv file in Sage?
From:Marshall Hampton (hamp@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 6, 2009 3:31:34 am
List:com.googlegroups.sage-support

Thanks Jason, I'm surprised this never showed up on my radar before.

-Marshall

On Feb 6, 12:45 pm, Jason Grout <jaso@creativetrax.com> wrote:

Marshall Hampton wrote:

Sometimes its convenient to use the DATA directory, which will be packaged with the worksheet if you save it (as a .sws file).  So for example you could copy the file to the DATA directory doing something like:

os.system('cp /full/path/to/list2.txt ' + DATA + 'list2.txt')

and then

f = open(DATA + 'list2.txt')

should work, and would still work if you saved a worksheet copy and moved it to another computer.

I am tempted to open a ticket in trac for some sort of read_csv command, which might behave like the following (NOTE: this is just wishful thinking at this point):

data_list = read_csv('my_file.csv') # data_list would be a list of lists of row data, converted to numerical types if possible data_list = read_csv('my_file.csv', seperator = '\t')  #split lines by a tab character instead data_list = read_csv('my_file.csv', fields = [int,int,string]) #perhaps useful to have more explicit field conversions

Does something like that already exist?  Seems very common as a task. Of course its not that hard to do ad-hoc, but it would make things more user-friendly for lots of people I think.

Yes, python has a very nice CSV module.
 Seehttp://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/module-csv.html

Thanks,