atom feed7 messages in org.apache.tcl.rivet-devRe: globals
FromSent OnAttachments
Massimo ManghiApr 7, 2006 9:59 am
David N. WeltonApr 8, 2006 4:00 am
Massimo ManghiApr 8, 2006 7:09 am
David N. WeltonApr 9, 2006 12:33 pm
Massimo ManghiApr 9, 2006 2:59 pm
David N. WeltonApr 10, 2006 2:51 pm
Massimo ManghiApr 10, 2006 4:12 pm
Subject:Re: globals
From:Massimo Manghi (man@biol.unipr.it)
Date:Apr 9, 2006 2:59:05 pm
List:org.apache.tcl.rivet-dev

Quoting "David N. Welton" <dav@dedasys.com>:

Massimo Manghi wrote:

Quoting "David N. Welton" <dav@dedasys.com>:

Remember that they are persistent *within the particular instance of Apache* - and since Apache usually runs with several child processes, you can't count on something like a counter working reliably.

Persistent in the case of globals in Rivet means that, in one particular child process, a variable will not be deleted between requests. Since it's tied to a system process and not a user, it's not useful for user information. On the other hand, it is useful for things like database handles - you can define a proc to check if it exists, create it if it doesn't, and return it in either case.

ok, I'm going to expose my vast ignorance in web programming: what do you mean for 'request' in this context? Apache child processes have no knowledge of concepts as 'session', so when the link (and the 'request' context) between client and server's child process is dropped?

ok...to many questions...sorry, but I'm growing eager to understand

'conversational'. Colloquial is something else in english.

'false friends'

Something more 'brutal' but effective would be a simple statement of the shift in the meaning of the keyword in connection with the issue of persistence. But what is 'persistence' in Rivet anyway?

As described above - at least with regards to 'global'.

Writing manuals for software you know intimately is often difficult, because it's hard to imagine what it's like to not know everything about it:-)

yes, this is related also the general problem of 'teaching'

-- Massimo Manghi

---------------------------------------------------------------- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Imp3 - Webmail del Dipartimento di Biologia Evolutiva e Funzionale