atom feed22 messages in org.xwiki.usersRe: [xwiki-users] Office import error
FromSent OnAttachments
Simon GletFeb 8, 2010 1:29 pm
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 8, 2010 6:20 pm
Simon GletFeb 9, 2010 5:46 am
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 9, 2010 9:15 am
Simon GletFeb 9, 2010 10:08 am
Guillaume LerougeFeb 9, 2010 11:36 am
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 9, 2010 12:20 pm
Simon GletFeb 9, 2010 12:49 pm
Guillaume LerougeFeb 9, 2010 1:42 pm
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 9, 2010 8:12 pm
Florin CiubotaruFeb 10, 2010 12:42 am
Jeremie BOUSQUETFeb 10, 2010 1:56 am
Simon GletFeb 10, 2010 8:24 am
Simon GletFeb 10, 2010 8:30 am
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 10, 2010 8:34 am
Vincent MassolFeb 10, 2010 8:36 am
Simon GletFeb 10, 2010 8:40 am
Simon GletFeb 12, 2010 6:35 am
Guillaume LerougeFeb 12, 2010 6:56 am
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 12, 2010 8:07 am
Asiri RathnayakeFeb 12, 2010 8:10 am
Simon GletFeb 12, 2010 8:48 am
Subject:Re: [xwiki-users] Office import error
From:Jeremie BOUSQUET (jere@gmail.com)
Date:Feb 10, 2010 1:56:06 am
List:org.xwiki.users

Hi Simon,

Some words from a long-time user of XWiki ...

I think the issues you encountered might be linked also to the fact that these features rely on external tools (oo, ms office...), and also they are quite "recent" in xwiki history. So for sure, all integration issues might not have been encountered / fixed already. Of course if you need mainly these features, it might be a problem, but with some fixes there is no reason they won't work.

For the rest, I must say that on the other side, and even with some (known) flaws, xwiki is not comparable to other wikis I know. No one offers such liberty and customization possibilities. I use it for some years now at work (since v0.9) and migrated regularly to last versions, and progression is incredible, in terms of features and usability. A good basis is now in place, and I think not much is needed to have a nearly perfect tool :) But, again, this tool might need some involvement in order to get its best, even if it's more and more "plug & play".

I'll take an example, in my office we use a specific configuration management tool very uncommon, and that is integrated with nothing else. In wiki I could very easily create some macros to help users create links on various sources, reports and such in this scm tool. The wysiwyg editor works really well now, and the new macro displays in a dialog with parameters I defined, though I didn't code anything for the display. This is really helpful and really easy to put in place. I don't know much other tools, but I don't think you can do this kind of thing so easily... For now I did not install oO server for office import though, but I plan to.

Best regards, Jeremie