atom feed4 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users[courier-users] which authentication ...
FromSent OnAttachments
CamJul 18, 2005 3:16 pm
Sam VarshavchikJul 18, 2005 3:29 pm
Jay LeeJul 18, 2005 3:37 pm
YvonneJul 19, 2005 4:37 am
Subject:[courier-users] which authentication module?
From:Cam (came@gmail.com)
Date:Jul 18, 2005 3:16:50 pm
List:net.sourceforge.lists.courier-users

Hi,

I'm still trying to plan out my courier mail setup. Right now i'm trying to figure out which authentication module i want to use. I really like the looks of the userdb stuff (really what i'm looking for is a way to give people mail accounts w/out giving them real user/shell accounts). so userdb looks perfect in that respect. I've also thought about ldap authentication... i don't really know anything about ldap, but i've heard it's very scalable (from the docs i've read on openldap.org it seems that multiple servers can balance the load). The setup i have going on here looks like it could get fairly large (maybe 200,000 users in the long term), but i'm not sure if that justifies ldap or not (especially since i have no existing ldap directory). Anyway, it looks like courier is able to handle multiple authentication schemes quite nicely, so maybe i could go w/ userdb at first and then if necessary add ldap at a later date. Are my assumptions wrong?