atom feed4 messages in org.opensolaris.zfs-discuss[zfs-discuss] How to interrupt a zpoo...
FromSent OnAttachments
Thomas WerschleinMar 5, 2007 1:28 am
Peter Dennis - Solaris Sustaining EngineeringMar 5, 2007 1:53 am
Thomas WerschleinMar 5, 2007 2:18 am
Wade...@fallon.comMar 5, 2007 8:16 am
Subject:[zfs-discuss] How to interrupt a zpool scrub?
From:Peter Dennis - Solaris Sustaining Engineering (pete@sun.com)
Date:Mar 5, 2007 1:53:21 am
List:org.opensolaris.zfs-discuss

Hi Thomas,

The man page for zpool has:

zpool scrub [-s] pool ...

Begins a scrub. The scrub examines all data in the specified pools to verify that it checksums correctly. For replicated (mirror or raidz) devices, ZFS automati- cally repairs any damage discovered during the scrub. The "zpool status" command reports the progress of the scrub and summarizes the results of the scrub upon com- pletion.

.... Because scrubbing and resilvering are I/O-intensive operations, ZFS only allows one at a time. If a scrub is already in progress, the "zpool scrub" command ter- minates it and starts a new scrub. If a resilver is in progress, ZFS does not allow a scrub to be started until the resilver completes.

-s Stop scrubbing.

When run the status of the pool has:

scrub: scrub stopped with 0 errors on Mon Mar 5 09:51:52 2007

as opposed to:

scrub: scrub completed with 0 errors on Mon Mar 5 09:51:16 2007

Hope that helps,

pete

Thomas Werschlein wrote:

Dear all

Is there a way to stop a running scrub on a zfs pool? Same question applies to a
running resilver. Both render our fileserver unusable due to massive CPU load so we'd like to
postpone them.

In the docs it says that resilvering and scrubbing survive a reboot, so I am not
even sure if a reboot would stop scrubbing or resilvering.

Any help greatly appreciated!