atom feed44 messages in org.slf4j.devRe: [slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln
FromSent OnAttachments
Pete MuirAug 17, 2009 10:05 am
Ralph GoersAug 17, 2009 2:40 pm
Pete MuirAug 18, 2009 6:37 am
Ralph GoersAug 18, 2009 7:10 am
近藤 健Aug 18, 2009 9:59 am
Pete MuirAug 19, 2009 8:31 am
Ralph GoersAug 19, 2009 9:15 am
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 11:17 am
Pete MuirAug 19, 2009 11:20 am
Pete MuirAug 19, 2009 11:29 am
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 11:42 am
Pete MuirAug 19, 2009 11:51 am
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 12:38 pm
Ralph GoersAug 19, 2009 1:42 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 1:58 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 2:15 pm
Ralph GoersAug 19, 2009 2:21 pm
Ralph GoersAug 19, 2009 2:31 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 19, 2009 2:40 pm
近藤 健Aug 20, 2009 8:22 am
Ralph GoersAug 20, 2009 8:35 am
Takeshi KondoAug 20, 2009 10:07 am
ralp...@dslextreme.comAug 20, 2009 10:20 am
Ceki GulcuAug 20, 2009 1:58 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 20, 2009 2:05 pm
Takeshi KondoAug 21, 2009 10:28 pm
Takeshi KondoAug 22, 2009 10:32 pm.jar, .jar
Ralph GoersAug 23, 2009 8:21 am
Takeshi KondoAug 23, 2009 8:40 am
Ceki GulcuAug 23, 2009 10:38 am
Takeshi KondoAug 23, 2009 4:59 pm
Ralph GoersAug 23, 2009 9:56 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 24, 2009 6:14 am
Takeshi KondoAug 24, 2009 10:02 am
Ceki GulcuAug 24, 2009 10:22 am
Takeshi KondoAug 24, 2009 11:05 am
Ceki GulcuAug 24, 2009 11:27 am
Takeshi KondoAug 24, 2009 12:36 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 24, 2009 12:56 pm
Takeshi KondoAug 24, 2009 1:15 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 24, 2009 1:24 pm
Ralph GoersAug 24, 2009 1:33 pm
Takeshi KondoAug 24, 2009 2:02 pm
Ceki GulcuAug 25, 2009 1:32 am
Subject:Re: [slf4j-dev] slf4j i8ln
From:Pete Muir (pmu@redhat.com)
Date:Aug 19, 2009 11:51:16 am
List:org.slf4j.dev

On 19 Aug 2009, at 19:43, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

Pete Muir wrote:

Sorry, I was being loose with my language. I meant using an enumerated type such as enum LogMessages { WRONG_PASSWORD, RIGHT_PASSWORD } log.warn(WRONG_PASSWORD);

What would the signature of log.warn() look like? Is the following legal java?

interface Logger { void warn(enum e); }

I don't think it is.

This is valid in Java 5 and above. For example:

public interface Logger {

public enum LogMessages { WRONG_PASSWORD }

public static class Test {

public void test() { Logger logger = new Logger() {

public void warn(Enum<?> message) { // No-op, this is a mock }

}; logger.warn(LogMessages.WRONG_PASSWORD); } }

public void warn(Enum<?> message); }

Of course, this isn't valid in Java 1.4.

Yes, I'm also not sure that this is necessary, and it's certainly another concern not really relating to i8n IMO.

Instead of debating the requirements, how about code that embodies your vision of the API (assuming everything was possible)?

Hehe, sure, I definitely like to understand the requirements properly first, but I know others prefer a hack first approach :-)

Well, I did not actually mean to hack a complete solution but back up words with at least some example code. Otherwise, it gets too abstract for me...

Previously, when I wrote: "You may wish to fork SLF4J on git." I meant to say githib not git.

By the way, the archives for this discussion are available from http://www.slf4j.org/pipermail/dev/2009-August/date.html

Thus, there is perhaps no need to cc Rodney, Takeshi and David. They can read the discussion from the archives if they wish to. If they wish to respond, they can do so after subscribing to the dev@slf4j mailing list. They can't respond to the mailing list without subscribing first. When replying, I won't add or remove addressed on my own initiative.

Good point, they know the discussion is happening now at least. I removed them from the cc.