atom feed27 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] SUMMARY: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
Johannes SchlüterJan 11, 2008 7:46 am
Steph FoxJan 11, 2008 8:50 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 9:37 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 9:37 am
Stanislav MalyshevJan 11, 2008 9:49 am
Johannes SchlüterJan 11, 2008 10:23 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 10:27 am
Rasmus LerdorfJan 11, 2008 10:33 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 10:47 am
Olivier HillJan 11, 2008 11:06 am
Stanislav MalyshevJan 11, 2008 11:07 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 11:08 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 11:12 am
Steph FoxJan 11, 2008 11:17 am
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 1:51 pm
PierreJan 11, 2008 2:08 pm
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 2:12 pm
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 2:35 pm
Jeff GriffithsJan 11, 2008 3:19 pm
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 3:36 pm
Gregory BeaverJan 11, 2008 4:08 pm
Jeff GriffithsJan 11, 2008 4:53 pm
PierreJan 11, 2008 5:01 pm
Marcus BoergerJan 12, 2008 3:40 am
Tomi KaistilaJan 12, 2008 6:16 am
Kouber SaparevJan 14, 2008 7:26 am
Richard LynchJan 15, 2008 2:11 pm
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] SUMMARY: Array syntax
From:Steph Fox (ste@zend.com)
Date:Jan 11, 2008 11:17:35 am
List:net.php.lists.internals

It is better to have input from people with a wide range of experience levels, it results in a fairer vote that actually represents the population, rather than putting PHP under the control of a select few.

No, it is not. This has nothing to do with "fairness", as we are not enacting laws, levying taxes or distributing subsidies here. To have input from many people is great, moreover - it is necessary. However, it is not the same as deciding by arithmetical majority of votes of whoever cares to vote on technical questions.

Is this one in particular really 'a technical question'? To me it looks more like a simple decision about whether or not to bring new syntax into the core, which would affect every user out there and which is really more to do with peoples' ideas about what constitues simplicity. Most of the time I'd agree that the discussions held on this list are rather more technical by nature and there's a real problem with people who really don't understand the ramifications chiming in, but this is a bit different.

- Steph (who has no interest whatever in seeing 500+ emails a week on internals@ or in adding sugar just "because it's there")