atom feed10 messages in org.apache.lucene.solr-userRe: Administrative questions
FromSent OnAttachments
Jon DrukmanAug 12, 2008 5:49 pm
Jason RennieAug 13, 2008 9:06 am
Jon DrukmanAug 13, 2008 10:52 am
Lance NorskogAug 13, 2008 1:12 pm
Jeremy HinegardnerAug 13, 2008 5:12 pm
vikalp sahniAug 13, 2008 11:55 pm
Jason RennieAug 14, 2008 7:49 am
Otis GospodneticAug 15, 2008 8:58 am
Jon DrukmanAug 15, 2008 1:47 pm
Otis GospodneticAug 18, 2008 9:37 am
Subject:Re: Administrative questions
From:Jon Drukman (jdru@gmail.com)
Date:Aug 15, 2008 1:47:04 pm
List:org.apache.lucene.solr-user

Jason Rennie wrote:

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Jon Drukman <jdru@gmail.com> wrote:

Duh. I should have thought of that. I'm a big fan of djbdns so I'm quite familiar with daemontools.

:) My pleasure. Was nice to hear recently that DJB is moving toward more flexible licensing terms. For anyone unfamiliar w/ daemontools, here's DJB's explanation of why they rock compared to inittab, ttys, init.d, and rc.local:

http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#why

in case anybody wants to know, here's how to run solr under daemontools.

1. install daemontools 2. create /etc/solr 3. create a user and group called solr 4. create shell script /etc/solr/run (edit to taste, i'm using the default jetty that comes with solr)

#!/bin/sh exec 2>&1 cd /usr/local/apache-solr-1.2.0/example exec setuidgid solr java -jar start.jar

4. create /etc/solr/log/run containing:

#!/bin/sh exec setuidgid solr multilog t ./main

5. ln -s /etc/solr /service/solr

that is all. as long as you've got svscan set to launch when the system boots, solr will run and auto-restart on crashes. logs will be in /service/solr/log/main (auto-rotated).

yay. -jsd-