atom feed2 messages in org.apache.hadoop.general[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.3.0 released
FromSent OnAttachments
Arun C MurthyFeb 24, 2014 1:45 pm
Arun C MurthyFeb 24, 2014 1:46 pm
Subject:[ANNOUNCE] Apache Hadoop 2.3.0 released
From:Arun C Murthy (ac@hortonworks.com)
Date:Feb 24, 2014 1:46:18 pm
List:org.apache.hadoop.general

Folks,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the Apache Hadoop community has
voted to release Apache Hadoop 2.3.0!

hadoop-2.3.0 is the first release for the year 2014, and brings a number of
enhancements to the core platform, in particular to HDFS.

With this release, there are two significant enhancements to HDFS: • Support for Heterogeneous Storage Hierarchy in HDFS (HDFS-2832) • In-memory Cache for data resident in HDFS via Datanodes (HDFS-4949)

In YARN, we are very excited to see that ResourceManager Automatic Failover
(YARN-149) is nearly complete; even it isn’t ready for primetime yet. We expect
it to land by the next release i.e. hadoop-2.4. Furthermore, a number of key
operational enhancements have been driven into YARN such as better logging,
error-handling, diagnostics etc.

On the MapReduce side of the house, a key enhancement is MAPREDUCE-4421; with
this we now no longer need to install MapReduce binaries on every machine and
can just use a MapReduce tarball via the YARN DistributedCache by copying it
into HDFS.

Of course, a number of bug-fixes, enhancements etc. have also made it into
hadoop-2.3; there-by continuing to improve the core platform. Please see the
release notes for more details.

thanks, Arun

PS: Here is a CVE for a security fix along with the release.

----

CVE-2013-6446: Apache Hadoop job history server vulnerability

Severity: Major

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected: Hadoop 0.23.1 to 0.23.9 Hadoop 2.0.0 to 2.2.0

Users affected: Users who have enabled Hadoop's MapReduce security features

Impact: Vulnerability allows an unauthorized user to retrieve job details from
the job history server.

Mitigation: 0.23.x users should upgrade to 0.23.10. 2.x users should upgrade to 2.3.0.

Credit: This issue was discovered by Koji Noguchi of Yahoo.