atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsProposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
Christian SchneiderNov 4, 2003 3:32 pm.patch
Rasmus LerdorfNov 4, 2003 5:06 pm
Ken TossellNov 4, 2003 5:09 pm
Andi GutmansNov 5, 2003 12:49 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:59 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 1:03 am
Kouber SaparevNov 5, 2003 1:47 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 2:06 am
s0niXNov 5, 2003 2:43 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 5, 2003 3:20 am
Mike RobinsonNov 5, 2003 3:26 am
Dirkjan OchtmanNov 5, 2003 3:45 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 4:02 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 5, 2003 4:34 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 4:59 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 5:04 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 5:06 am
Magnus MäättäNov 5, 2003 5:07 am
Derick RethansNov 5, 2003 5:18 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 7:34 am
Nicolas ToperNov 5, 2003 7:47 am
Ilia AlshanetskyNov 5, 2003 7:56 am
Antony DovgalNov 5, 2003 8:03 am
Rasmus LerdorfNov 5, 2003 8:21 am
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 8:30 am
Andrey HristovNov 5, 2003 8:40 am
62 later messages
Subject:Proposal: Array syntax
From:Christian Schneider (csch@cschneid.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2003 3:32:43 pm
List:net.php.lists.internals
Attachments:

I propose to add an alternative (backward compatible) short array creation syntax: $a = [ 1, 2, 3 ]; and $a = [ 'a' => 42, 'b' => "foo" ];

It can also be used in function calls: img(['src' => "logo.gif", 'alt' => "Logo"]);

Reason behind this change: Arrays are used a lot and should therefore have as little syntactic overhead as possible. And I think the short syntax is also easier to read and write.

A patch for the parser is trivial and is attached for Zend2.

Note: I checked the newsgroup archive but couldn't find a discussion about this. After not hearing back about my proposed enhancement to debug_backtrace() and the dangling comma for function call parameters being rejected I wonder if I'm using the right mailing list for this :-)

- Chris