atom feed27 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] SUMMARY: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
Johannes SchlüterJan 11, 2008 7:46 am
Steph FoxJan 11, 2008 8:50 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 9:37 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 9:37 am
Stanislav MalyshevJan 11, 2008 9:49 am
Johannes SchlüterJan 11, 2008 10:23 am
PierreJan 11, 2008 10:27 am
Rasmus LerdorfJan 11, 2008 10:33 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 10:47 am
Olivier HillJan 11, 2008 11:06 am
Stanislav MalyshevJan 11, 2008 11:07 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 11:08 am
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 11:12 am
Steph FoxJan 11, 2008 11:17 am
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 1:51 pm
PierreJan 11, 2008 2:08 pm
Sam BarrowJan 11, 2008 2:12 pm
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 2:35 pm
Jeff GriffithsJan 11, 2008 3:19 pm
Antony DovgalJan 11, 2008 3:36 pm
Gregory BeaverJan 11, 2008 4:08 pm
Jeff GriffithsJan 11, 2008 4:53 pm
PierreJan 11, 2008 5:01 pm
Marcus BoergerJan 12, 2008 3:40 am
Tomi KaistilaJan 12, 2008 6:16 am
Kouber SaparevJan 14, 2008 7:26 am
Richard LynchJan 15, 2008 2:11 pm
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] SUMMARY: Array syntax
From:Jeff Griffiths (jef@activestate.com)
Date:Jan 11, 2008 3:19:41 pm
List:net.php.lists.internals

Antony Dovgal wrote: ...

Well, to me it matters whether the author is going to care of the thing he's proposing or he's going to disappear right after it's implemented.

I didn't realize there was a section of the code flagged 'syntactic sugar' and only a few people maintained that part. it also seems ridiculous to debate a syntax *addition* such as this in terms of maintainability. Is it really is hard to maintain this patch to the parser? How hard is it to maintain this:

$array[] = $foo;

...vs any other part of the codebase?

I think a lot of web developers who use PHP would agree with Rasmus' sentiment[1]:

"What is clear and understandable to web developers is a moving target. As someone mentioned, nobody who does any sort of web development today can ignore Javascript and they will typically be switching back and forth between Javascript and PHP every couple of minutes. This is our target user these days and as such this syntax is appropriate I think."

[1] http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=117060700805108&w=2

Jeff