atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
76 earlier messages
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:16 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:24 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:33 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:40 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:56 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:59 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 4:01 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 4:14 am
Mischa TuffieldNov 5, 2010 4:47 am
Norman GrayNov 5, 2010 5:11 am
Dave ReynoldsNov 5, 2010 5:38 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:52 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:56 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:00 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:33 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 7:17 am
David WoodNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 7:27 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 8:12 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 8:18 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 8:39 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 9:35 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 10:29 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 10:30 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 10:37 am
Hugh GlaserNov 5, 2010 10:50 am
David BoothNov 6, 2010 1:41 pm
Norman GrayNov 6, 2010 3:45 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 6, 2010 4:07 pm
David BoothNov 7, 2010 10:27 pm
David BoothNov 7, 2010 10:27 pm
Tore ErikssonNov 7, 2010 11:17 pm
Toby InksterNov 8, 2010 12:36 am
Toby InksterNov 8, 2010 2:10 am
David BoothNov 8, 2010 6:39 am
David BoothNov 8, 2010 6:42 am
Norman GrayNov 8, 2010 7:51 am
Toby InksterNov 8, 2010 8:03 am
David BoothNov 8, 2010 12:33 pm
Lars HeuerNov 8, 2010 1:16 pm
David BoothNov 8, 2010 1:35 pm
Dave ReynoldsNov 8, 2010 1:50 pm
David BoothNov 8, 2010 3:34 pm
Tore ErikssonNov 8, 2010 5:51 pm
Dave ReynoldsNov 9, 2010 6:36 am
Lars HeuerNov 9, 2010 8:00 am
Kjetil KjernsmoNov 10, 2010 7:13 am
Jason BorroNov 11, 2010 11:47 am
David BoothNov 18, 2010 2:09 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 19, 2010 4:25 am
25 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Nathan (nat@webr3.org)
Date:Nov 5, 2010 10:37:15 am
List:org.w3.public-lod

Pat Hayes wrote:

On Nov 5, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Nathan wrote:

The other way of looking at it, is that the once clear message of:

Don't use /slash URIs for things, use fragments, and if you flat out refuse to do this then at least use the 303 to keep distinct names

has been totally lost.

The advice is not that /slash URIs are okay and use them if you like, it's that
they're not ok and you should be using #fragments. Don't dress the TAG finding
up in other words to make it seem more favourable than it actually is.

That isnt the way I read the TAG finding. I read it as simply saying that if you
use a slash URI and you want it to denote something other than what it
http-GETs, then use a 303 redirect. Because a slash URI which returns a 200 code
is understood as being a name for the IR that it is connected to with HTTP; the
200 code amounts to a claim that HTTP has over its denotation. And the 303
cancels that claim, leaving it free to denote whatever y'all want it to denote,
just like a hash name with a fragment.

And thats all.

Yup I think that is what the TAG finding carefully says, whilst "On www-tag we have 6 years of impassioned defense of the 200-means-web-page story and hash URIs"

Perhaps the TAG haven't made the "impassioned defense of .. hash URIs" part clear?

Nice description though Pat, "the 200 code amounts to a claim that HTTP has over its denotation. And the 303 cancels that claim" is quite clear :)

Best,