|Don Day||Oct 5, 2004 6:15 am|
|Subject:||MEETING MINUTES -- 28 SEPT 2004 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE|
|From:||Don Day (do...@us.ibm.com)|
|Date:||Oct 5, 2004 6:15:09 am|
Posted for Seraphim Larsen
MEETING MINUTES -- 28 SEPT 2004 -- DITA TECHNICAL COMMITTEE *** Please see Action Items and Decision Summary at the end ***
** Agenda ** ------------ 1. Roll call
2. Review/approve minutes from 21 September (look in the mailing list archives before the meeting) and from 14 September (no quorum last week) - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00010.html
3. Feasibility of a TC F2F?
4. Terminology - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00032.html
5. Style wrapup (no recent discussion on the list). We do not need to design a mechanism, just have an idea where we are headed, and have recommendations for current users.
6. Provide DITA perspective to TAC?(subgroup of Interchange of DATA between Administrations, a European standards activity) http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00036.html
7. Wrapup of containment discussion: - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00026.html and many following
8. Resume discussion on previous and unfinished issues: - Any new feedback/action on @scale usage? (Don proposes that we document clearly the expected behavior of @scale, and keep it for now for best legacy compatibility) - Any new feedback on migration mitigation for tables?
9. DTD cleanup - Alignment convention (elements, attributes, comments, etc.) - Testing the DTDs and Schemas
- Schedule reminder: - 17 Aug 2004 - First major milestone -- complete first draft of first section and send out for review. - Begin review of 1st section. - 07 Sep 2004 - Complete review/revision of 1st section; begin review of 2nd section. - 28 Sep 2004 - Complete review/revision of 2nd section; begin review of 3rd section. - 19 Oct 2004 - Complete review/revision of 3rd section; beginning of final review - 02 Nov 2004 - Complete final review - 16 Nov 2004 - Release 1.0 spec to OASIS
** Minutes ** ------------- 1. Roll call - We do have quorum today (16/21) - Members: Paul Grosso, Wendy Hambleton, Michael Priestley, Paul Antonov, France Baril, Mary McRae, Eliot Kimber, Seraphim Larsen, Bruce Esrig, Indie Liepa, Robin Cover, Rob Frankland, Stanley Doherty, Sharon Veach, Jerry Smith, Don Day
Observers and visitors: David Brainard, Erik Hennum, Eric Sirois, Kirsten Nothstine, Eric Hixson
2. Review/approve minutes from 21 September and from 14 September (no quorum last week) - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00039.html - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00010.html - Minutes from 21 Sept approved. - Minutes from 14 Sept approved.
3. Feasibility of a TC F2F? - Need to be sure we make the best use of the F2F -- not just for reviewing documents, for example. Best to use it for anything requiring lengthy discussion (resolving technical issues, for example). - Mary Macrae will take an action item to get the dates for the OASIS forum in New Orleans as a possible venue for the F2F. - We'll revisit this after we complete the 1.0 release.
4. Terminology - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00032.html - Erik Hennum gave a quick summary. - Discussion followed -- but we don't need to close now. Eliot will move the discussion to the list.
5. Style wrapup (no recent discussion on the list). We do not need to design a mechanism, just have an idea where we are headed, and have recommendations for current users. - Don will continue driving this discussion on the list.
6. Provide DITA perspective to TAC? (subgroup of Interchange of DATA between Administrations, a European standards activity) - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00036.html - Don will compose a short note to them.
7. Wrapup of containment discussion: - http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00026.html and many following - Anything here will be post-1.0. Let's continue with the discussion, but flag it as a post-1.0 and keep off the agenda till then.
8. Resume discussion on previous and unfinished issues: - Any new feedback/action on @scale usage? (Don proposes that we document clearly the expected behavior of @scale, and keep it for now for best legacy compatibility) - Proposal accepted.
- Any new feedback on migration mitigation for tables? - Proposal: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200409/msg00009.html - Original description: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200408/msg00042.html - We will vote on this on a ballot. Don will do the ballot.
9. DTD cleanup -- No time, not covered.
10. AOB? -- No time, not covered.
** Summary of Decisions ** -------------------------- - Proposal accepted: To document clearly the expected behavior of @scale and keep it for now for best legacy compatibility.
** Action Required ** --------------------- 017 Shawn Jordan -- Post to the TC list his ideas about general extensibility and the creation of new elements not necessarily descended from the Topic element. Still open (not an immediate deliverable -- for post-1.0).
021 JoAnn Hackos, Michael Priestley -- Summarize the discussion of substitution and post to the TC list. Still pending as of 7/20/04.
022 Don, Michael -- Put together a "self-study" tutorial/demo, as per JoAnn's comments regarding the DITA sessions. Still pending as of 7/20/04.
036 Shawn Jordan -- Investigate where to point the DITA namespace -- where does the URL point? Maybe an OASIS page that describes what DITA does, etc. Still pending 8/17/04.
040 Don -- Cull the past minutes and discussion list to create an inventory of all the things we need to close on in order to create the 1.0 spec. Create a list of these items and post it in the Documents area of the website. >>> This will be ongoing.
043 Michael Priestley -- Add a straw-man audience statement to the introduction. <<< Still pending as of 9/7/04.
051 Don Day, 9/7/04 -- Take the discussion of @scale attribute and related issues to the list (presentation mechanisms).
052 Don Day, 9/14/04 -- Is anyone other than IBM actually using the scale attribute? Don to ask on dita-users forum; get usage info for next week's discussion. <<< We haven't heard from anyone else, so we'll assume that IBM is the primary user that has significant legacy usage of the @scale attribute. Closed 9/28/04.
054 Erik Hennum, 9/14/04 -- Provide a comment about vocabulary (terminology discussion) to the list.
055 Don, 9/21/04 -- Take the @scale discussion to the list. Ongoing.
056 Mary Macrae, 9/28/04 -- Get the dates for the OASIS forum in New Orleans as a possible venue for the DITA F2F.
057 Eliot Kimber, 9/28/04 -- Move the discussion on terminology (and meta-terminology) to the list.
058 Don Day, 9/28/04 -- Compose a short note to the TAC.
059 Don Day, 9/28/04 -- Open a ballot to decide whether to keep the full set of features for mitigating table migration.
** Issues to be Resolved ** --------------------------- 005 All -- What should the scope and length of the conceptual introduction be? >>> We'll get this from JoAnn.
006 All -- Should DITA specialization mechanism be documented in a separate specification in order to make it easier to use in other XML applications that otherwise have no relationship to topic-based writing? >>> Ongoing.
008 Namespace Subcommittee -- Decide namespace issues. New as of 8/31/04.
009 "Best Practices" document -- Let's put this on the agenda for future discussion.
010 Relationship between DITA and other topic-based architectures (such as S1000D) -- Need to incorporate this into the "Best Practices" document.
011 All -- Revisit use of @scale on image (general treatment of graphics, ie raster vs vector assumptions, etc.). Compare/contrast with controls for the <object> element, which in HTML subsumes the <img> element.