atom feed12 messages in org.apache.ofbiz.userRe: Accounting transaction : GlAccoun...
FromSent OnAttachments
snowcSep 20, 2009 10:27 pm
Jacopo CappellatoSep 20, 2009 10:56 pm
Chris SnowSep 23, 2009 11:43 am
Chris SnowSep 23, 2009 3:06 pm
Chris SnowSep 24, 2009 10:29 pm
Carsten SchinzerSep 25, 2009 7:17 am
Sharan-FSep 25, 2009 3:28 pm
Chris SnowSep 26, 2009 12:18 am
Jacques Le RouxSep 26, 2009 3:05 am
Chris SnowSep 26, 2009 3:23 am
Sharan-FSep 27, 2009 5:48 pm
Chris SnowSep 28, 2009 12:25 am
Subject:Re: Accounting transaction : GlAccountType
From:Sharan-F (shar@gmail.com)
Date:Sep 25, 2009 3:28:55 pm
List:org.apache.ofbiz.user

Hi Chris

I agree with Carsten – I see this as a feature and not a bug. I'll tell you my reasoning.

The GL account defaults are the way to setup which accounts (GLAccountIds) you want specific transaction types (GL Account Types) to map to. This also helps to automate where transactions are posted to and if setup correctly you should have minimal transactions falling into the error (ie Error Journal).

For an accounting transaction, if you enter a GLAccountType and the GLAccountId is blank and then use the 'Complete transaction fields' instead of the 'Verify transaction' - you will see that the system will automatically pick up the mapping from GL account defaults if they exist and will fill the GLAccountId that corresponds to the GLAccountType.

There will be situations where you may want to change the GLAccountType in an accounting transaction and by doing that, it will need to map to a different GLAccountId. So for example - if you dont know the account number (GL account Id) but you do know what type of transaction it is (GLAccountType) then the current system gives you the option to change it, update it, and then use the 'Complete transactions fields' to automatically bring in the correct GLAccount Id. (if the mapping has been setup!)

If on the other hand your business is not concerned with knowing what type of transaction has been processed and just wants to focus on the GLAccountId itself then that is also an option... so in this case you can leave the GLAccountType blank and fill in the GLAccountId manually.

So I think having both these fields available here adds to the flexibility of OFBiz.

Thanks Sharan

Carsten Schinzer wrote:

This can only be considered a bug, if there is a mechanism to hook in General Ledger configurations other than the default.

Some more detail: If you want to use a different GL setup, then there must be a mechanism to configure default accounts for certain transactions that have financial implications, e.g. inventory additions/retrieval, sales etc.

The above mechanism uses either a specific account or the account type mapping.

I personally find the account type mapping an easy way to do such a default mapping since it avoids to (re-)configure each and every transactional service and instead focalize the configuration work to the accounting application if the GL is changed.

As most of my statements are based on assumptions and experience made through config, it would be good if someone of the "experienced crowd" could verify these and add a comment here as well. However, in this context, I cannot agree that the above is a bug; IMHO it's rather a feature.

Regards

Carsten