atom feed8 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.etherboot-developersRe: [Etherboot-developers] gPXE and d...
FromSent OnAttachments
Simon KelleyApr 8, 2009 1:00 am
Marty ConnorApr 8, 2009 9:38 am
Simon KelleyApr 8, 2009 12:42 pm
Michael BrownApr 15, 2009 9:29 am
Michael BrownApr 15, 2009 1:11 pm
Simon KelleyApr 16, 2009 9:41 am
Michael BrownApr 16, 2009 12:02 pm
Simon KelleyApr 19, 2009 7:54 am
Subject:Re: [Etherboot-developers] gPXE and dnsmasq
From:Michael Brown (mbr@fensystems.co.uk)
Date:Apr 16, 2009 12:02:41 pm
List:net.sourceforge.lists.etherboot-developers

On Thursday 16 April 2009 17:41:55 Simon Kelley wrote:

I believe we should attempt multicasting. I definitely remember having to fix up some bugs in ethernet.c relating to transmission of multicast packets around the time I was working on this.

Agreed about multicast, my previous comment was after looking at old gPXE code, I think. Not accepting broadcast to port 67 is still valid in git-head code. See the patch I posted here which fixes this and does, indeed fix things with dnsmasq.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

It should work; gPXE will treat a port 4011 ProxyDHCPREQUEST failure as a non-fatal error, and will proceed with the options already obtain via DHCPACK.

It has to accept options from a DHCPOFFER with no valid offered address though, that doesn't currently work (and may not be standards-compliant, though it works with every intel PXE rom I tested). I'm happy to do a patch if want.

Our logic is that we will treat a DHCPOFFER packet as:

a. an offered IP address if it contains an IP address and comes from port 67

b. a PXE DHCP offer if it contains "PXEClient"

and that the same packet could be treated as none, either, or both of these. This means that we *should* already accept options from a DHCPOFFER with no valid offered address. If this doesn't work, could you send a packet trace and a debug log with DEBUG=dhcp enabled?

Thanks,

Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Stay on top of everything new and different, both inside and around Java (TM) technology - register by April 22, and save $200 on the JavaOne (SM) conference, June 2-5, 2009, San Francisco. 300 plus technical and hands-on sessions. Register today. Use priority code J9JMT32. http://p.sf.net/sfu/p