atom feed162 messages in org.w3.www-mathHTML5 defines error handling (Was: Ma...
FromSent OnAttachments
46 earlier messages
White LynxOct 4, 2006 9:38 am
Robert MinerOct 4, 2006 10:25 am
William F HammondOct 4, 2006 11:36 am
William F HammondOct 4, 2006 11:42 am
Robert MinerOct 4, 2006 12:03 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 12:38 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 12:41 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 12:56 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 12:57 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 1:03 pm
Paul ToppingOct 4, 2006 1:06 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 4:02 pm
Paul ToppingOct 4, 2006 5:31 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 5:44 pm
Roger B. SidjeOct 4, 2006 6:03 pm
Paul ToppingOct 4, 2006 6:07 pm
Ian HicksonOct 4, 2006 6:25 pm
juan...@canonicalscience.comOct 5, 2006 1:39 am
White LynxOct 5, 2006 2:04 am
White LynxOct 5, 2006 2:48 am
White LynxOct 5, 2006 3:15 am
juan...@canonicalscience.comOct 5, 2006 6:07 am
White LynxOct 5, 2006 7:33 am
Ian HicksonOct 5, 2006 12:40 pm
Ian HicksonOct 5, 2006 12:58 pm
juan...@canonicalscience.comOct 6, 2006 12:42 am
White LynxOct 6, 2006 1:52 am
White LynxOct 6, 2006 2:07 am
dolphinlingOct 8, 2006 11:55 pm
White LynxOct 9, 2006 1:04 am
William F HammondOct 9, 2006 9:42 am
Paul ToppingOct 9, 2006 11:19 am
William F HammondOct 9, 2006 12:03 pm
William F HammondOct 9, 2006 1:39 pm
Paul LibbrechtOct 9, 2006 2:01 pm
Paul ToppingOct 9, 2006 2:11 pm
William F HammondOct 9, 2006 2:16 pm
White LynxOct 10, 2006 5:49 am
Ian HicksonOct 10, 2006 10:59 am
Neil SoifferOct 10, 2006 11:45 am
Ian HicksonOct 10, 2006 2:26 pm
William F HammondOct 10, 2006 2:55 pm
Roger B. SidjeOct 11, 2006 1:23 am
White LynxOct 11, 2006 1:51 am
White LynxOct 11, 2006 2:03 am
White LynxOct 11, 2006 2:12 am
William F HammondOct 11, 2006 8:23 am
David CarlisleOct 11, 2006 8:50 am
David CarlisleOct 11, 2006 9:08 am
Ian HicksonOct 11, 2006 9:25 am
66 later messages
Subject:HTML5 defines error handling (Was: MathML-in-HTML5)
From:Ian Hickson (ia@hixie.ch)
Date:Oct 5, 2006 12:58:12 pm
List:org.w3.www-math

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, White Lynx wrote:

In the context of HTML5 the term "tag soup" is meaningless, since there is no UA-defined handling anymore

Error handling comes naturally and developers are not supposed to put all resources into area that provides no real functionality. It is UA defined and I don't know how HTML5 is suupposed to change it if the UA that defines error handling today does not participate in the process and due to its share faces no error handling problems in the way others face them.

In the case of HTML5 (like in CSS, for that matter), error handling is *not* UA-defined -- it is strictly defined by the specification and user agents must follow the rules in the specification for handling errors.

http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing

In fact, no distinction is made between error conditions and normal conditions, there is just one set of rules that works for all content, whether valid or not (although error conditions are called in the appropriate places).

If all do their own thing today then how HTML5 parsing rules could could be compatible with the way how browsers handle incorrect ("tag soup") documents today.

I did a lot of extensive research before documenting the HTML5 parsing rules, to ensure that the common aspects, which documents depend on, were carried forward, while the more unique aspects, which documents did not depend on, were simplified and unified.

And once again let me note that MathML community does not have tagsoup parsing problems today

If we go with the HTML5 route, it will continue not having such problems, since HTML5 strictly defines how all content is parsed.

...at the moment I see only one UA that wants to go in this way, I don't think that others will follow it, in case of MathML tag soup at least. HTML tag soup as such may be different issue as here browsers have motivation coming from the large amount of legacy content so if HTML5 will reverse engineer MSIE error handling and document it others may find it useful, but once gain this is not an issue for MathML implementations where we lack implementations in browsers (so even absolutely valid markup is not treated properly) and are talking about specifying comprehensive error handling that people are supposed to devote time and resources to.

The parsing (and error handling) rules for the proposed math-in-HTML5 is a _subset_ of the general HTML5 parsing (and error handling) rules, such that any browser that implements HTML5 parsing automatically is compatible with HTML5+Math parsing. (The only requirement then is that the UA also implement MathML itself, so that the resulting DOM is handled per MathML rules.)