atom feed30 messages in org.python.python-dev[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
FromSent OnAttachments
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 8:00 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 9:10 pm
Bob IppolitoApr 13, 2004 9:26 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 10:04 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 10:17 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 11:10 pm
Guido van RossumApr 13, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 13, 2004 11:56 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 9:08 am
Raymond HettingerApr 14, 2004 12:06 pm
Andrew MacIntyreApr 14, 2004 3:23 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 3:35 pm
Mike PallApr 14, 2004 5:50 pm
Tim PetersApr 14, 2004 11:14 pm
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 7:05 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 9:36 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:27 am
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 10:38 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:42 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Skip MontanaroApr 15, 2004 11:59 am
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 1:27 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 15, 2004 2:22 pm
Thomas HellerApr 15, 2004 2:31 pm
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 15, 2004 3:07 pm
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 16, 2004 12:18 am
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 16, 2004 2:00 am
Andrew MacIntyreApr 16, 2004 9:14 pm
Subject:[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
From:Guido van Rossum (gui@python.org)
Date:Apr 15, 2004 10:27:22 am
List:org.python.python-dev

I recently met Mario Wolczko who worked on the Self language, and asked him if he had one sentence of advice for Python. His response was: Just-in-time compilation.

About psyco: I think it's wonderful. But, you are right, nobody is using it. Why? Simple: It's not 'on' by default.

I don't think that's the real reason. Last week Jimmy Retzlaff gave a talk at the Bay Piggies meeting on optimization, using a large commercial application he's written as an example. He mentioned that he had tried to use Psyco, and that it had been turned on in some distributions of the code, but that it was currently turned off again.

I don't recall the reason he stated for that, but I suspect that it was mostly Psyco's memory bloat, plus the fact that his code was "fast enough" and he was able to code things in C if needed. (He also showed a nice anecdote about Psyco being faster than his hand-coded C in one case, but that didn't last long when he realized the C code was using doubles and the Python code was using ints. :-)