|Jesse Vincent||Oct 31, 2009 10:19 am|
|David Golden||Oct 31, 2009 12:33 pm|
|Curtis Jewell||Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm|
|David E. Wheeler||Oct 31, 2009 3:48 pm|
|jesse||Oct 31, 2009 4:53 pm|
|jesse||Oct 31, 2009 4:58 pm|
|jesse||Oct 31, 2009 5:10 pm|
|David Golden||Oct 31, 2009 6:42 pm|
|jesse||Oct 31, 2009 8:31 pm|
|David Golden||Nov 1, 2009 5:07 am|
|Jesse Vincent||Oct 31, 2011 3:27 pm|
|Abigail||Oct 31, 2011 3:41 pm|
|Leon Timmermans||Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm|
|Ricardo Signes||Oct 31, 2011 3:49 pm|
|Paul Johnson||Nov 1, 2011 3:47 am|
|Dave Mitchell||Nov 1, 2011 4:14 am|
|Alberto Simões||Nov 1, 2011 6:28 am|
|David Golden||Nov 1, 2011 6:33 am|
|Craig A. Berry||Nov 1, 2011 5:02 pm|
|Jesse Vincent||Nov 1, 2011 7:51 pm|
|Shlomi Fish||Nov 7, 2011 7:48 am|
|Subject:||Re: The Great Pumpkin|
|From:||Curtis Jewell (list...@csjewell.fastmail.us)|
|Date:||Oct 31, 2009 1:22:12 pm|
Considering that I'm (because of Strawberry) going to be needing to keep up to date with you as we go through this, here is what I'm going to be doing so I can feel comfortable releasing an adequately-tested version of Strawberry Perl 5.12.x:
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 13:20 -0400, "Jesse Vincent" <jes...@fsck.com> wrote: ...
The plan for Perl 5 Release 12 is as follows:
* Blead will feature-freeze on November 21. (just after Yves ships 5.11.2) After that point, no feature should be added or removed from blead. After that point, dual-lifed modules should only be updated from CPAN versions to fix major bugs or security issues. Exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis.
I should be able to build a "Strawberryish" 5.11.2 after the United States Thanksgiving [Nov 26th] if 5.12.0 RC1 is not available at that point. (I may still be making the big changes [relocatability/merge-module use/64-bit] at that point.)
* See if anyone tries to kill me in my sleep
* We will polish and bugfix and push on others to fix bugs in blead/5.12-to-be until we have something that we feel is of a higher quality than the current release of 5.10.
(During this time, monthly release of blead will continue)
* When I believe that blead is of sufficient quality to ship, I'll issue a final call for testing in advance of an RC.
* Get former pumpkings to sanity-check the release-worthyness. If they give us a "no-go", we'll iterate until they consider the state of blead to be a solid, shippable 5.12.0.
* Ship 5.12.0RC1
* Yell at people to test the RC
And to help in that testing, I'll commit to making a "Strawberryish" 5.12.0RC1 available within 10 days of the RC1 tarball's release (it should be sooner, but the time frame you're aiming for may create problems with other commitments.)
I should also be able to make future RC's available within 3 days of release once the first one is done.
* Ship 5.12.0
If we're aiming for Christmas - or even for Coptic Christmas - for this, then I'll commit to having a beta released within a week to 10 days. Since that beta would come during the RC period for Strawberry's January release, I won't do a non-beta release for January, most likely. Part of the reason is that 5.12.0 would be beta-tested as both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as mentioned in previous messages.
* Yell at people to test 5.12.0
* Ship 5.12.1RC1 30 days after 5.12.0 with whatever bugfixes, cleanups, improvements were found to be necessary when users _actually_ test the release.
In this case, then Strawberry WON'T end up doing a full release for 5.12.0, as I'm going to have to do a build for this RC before I would feel comfortable taking a new release of 5.12.0 out of beta as far as Strawberry is concerned. [I prefer to have a month of "beta" time for the bugs to shake out - 2 weeks at an absolute minimum]
* Ship 5.12.1 with a methodology similar to that used for 5.12.0
This would probably end up being the release that would be paired with 5.10.x for a non-beta release for the April 2010 cycle. I'm in the process of deciding whether to give up on building 5.8.x versions of Strawberry for January... (if I can make Strawberry 220.127.116.11 "any location" installable using -Duserelocatableinc for January 2010, then I probably will. If not, then April 2010 for sure.)
* branch maint-5.12 and reopen the blead tree
Assuming that we're happy with the results, my intent is that we spin up the same process for Perl 5 Release 14 next October or November.
If you decide on November 2010 to start the "Perl 5 Release 14" process, then start earlier in the month, please. That way, I have enough time to build RC's in the "big changes" month and hopefully have a final version that I can beta-test, at worst, late in the "beta-test" month. October would be better. But I'll live with whoever the pumpking at that time decides.
For those of you who don't know (most of you?), the release cycle for Strawberry that I have to shoehorn releases of Perl into is:
1) Make big changes, and break things in February, May, August, or November 2) Finalize the big changes, fix things, and beta-test in March, June, September, or December 3) Release candidates, and hopefully the final version, (with a maint branch) in April, July, October, January
"Your random numbers are not that random" -- perl-5.10.1.tar.gz/util.c
Strawberry Perl for Windows betas: http://strawberryperl.com/beta/