atom feed30 messages in org.python.python-dev[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
FromSent OnAttachments
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 8:00 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 9:10 pm
Bob IppolitoApr 13, 2004 9:26 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 10:04 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 13, 2004 10:17 pm
Jeff EplerApr 13, 2004 11:10 pm
Guido van RossumApr 13, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 13, 2004 11:56 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 9:08 am
Raymond HettingerApr 14, 2004 12:06 pm
Andrew MacIntyreApr 14, 2004 3:23 pm
Jeff EplerApr 14, 2004 3:35 pm
Mike PallApr 14, 2004 5:50 pm
Tim PetersApr 14, 2004 11:14 pm
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 7:05 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 9:36 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:27 am
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 10:38 am
Guido van RossumApr 15, 2004 10:42 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Mike PallApr 15, 2004 11:56 am
Skip MontanaroApr 15, 2004 11:59 am
Michael HudsonApr 15, 2004 1:27 pm
Raymond HettingerApr 15, 2004 2:22 pm
Thomas HellerApr 15, 2004 2:31 pm
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 15, 2004 3:07 pm
Jeremy HyltonApr 15, 2004 11:26 pm
Tim PetersApr 16, 2004 12:18 am
"Martin v. Löwis"Apr 16, 2004 2:00 am
Andrew MacIntyreApr 16, 2004 9:14 pm
Subject:[Python-Dev] Optimization targets
From:Mike Pall (mike@mike.de)
Date:Apr 15, 2004 11:56:29 am
List:org.python.python-dev

Hi,

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

Another question that I'd love to hear the answer to: What's the difference between Pysco and something like this Self implementation or the HotSpot Java implementation? I've never read a clear explanation of what Pysco does or how it compares to other systems that do dynamic compilation.

Here is a link for Java HotSpot:

http://java.sun.com/products/hotspot/docs/whitepaper/Java_Hotspot_v1.4.1/Java_HSpot_WP_v1.4.1_1002_4.html

It seems that many advantages gained by static typing are lost since the Java codebase encourages strong polymorphism (in contrast to C++).

What can we learn from this for Python: static typing is probably not all that helpful for a JIT compiler (in contrast to popular belief).

About the CLR (.NET and C# target) JIT:

http://www.artima.com/intv/choices.html

What I found most interesting: their bytecode is polymorphic because they never targetted an interpreter and the JIT must do type inference anyway. Well, Python bytecode doesn't look that bad now ...

I would be very interested to hear what Armin thinks about static vs. dynamic type inferencing and about semi-static (CLR) vs. hotspot (Java) compilation.

Bye, Mike