atom feed151 messages in org.w3.public-lodRe: Is 303 really necessary?
FromSent OnAttachments
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 6:21 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:13 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 7:22 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 7:59 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:22 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:27 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:38 am
William WaitesNov 4, 2010 8:43 am
Giovanni TummarelloNov 4, 2010 8:50 am
Leigh DoddsNov 4, 2010 8:53 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 8:55 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 8:57 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:06 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:10 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:13 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 9:16 am
bill...@planet.nlNov 4, 2010 9:20 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:22 am
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 9:25 am
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 9:33 am
Robin YANGNov 4, 2010 9:51 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 9:54 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 9:56 am
Mike KellyNov 4, 2010 10:12 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 10:13 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:17 am
David WoodNov 4, 2010 10:24 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 10:36 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 10:51 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:06 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:07 am
Patrick DurusauNov 4, 2010 11:08 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:18 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:24 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:38 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 11:41 am
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 11:45 am
NathanNov 4, 2010 11:46 am
Robert FullerNov 4, 2010 11:48 am
Ian DavisNov 4, 2010 11:58 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:00 pm
Harry HalpinNov 4, 2010 12:03 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:07 pm
Jörn HeesNov 4, 2010 12:10 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:12 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 12:26 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 12:36 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 12:56 pm
Hugh GlaserNov 4, 2010 12:59 pm
David WoodNov 4, 2010 1:14 pm
NathanNov 4, 2010 1:22 pm
Bradley AllenNov 4, 2010 1:40 pm
Mischa TuffieldNov 4, 2010 2:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:09 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 3:11 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 3:24 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 3:26 pm
Melvin CarvalhoNov 4, 2010 3:48 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:31 pm
Kingsley IdehenNov 4, 2010 4:42 pm
David BoothNov 4, 2010 5:41 pm
mike amundsenNov 4, 2010 7:28 pm
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:28 am
Michael HausenblasNov 5, 2010 2:29 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:34 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:36 am
Leigh DoddsNov 5, 2010 2:41 am
William WaitesNov 5, 2010 2:53 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 2:57 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:05 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:12 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:16 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:24 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:33 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:40 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 3:56 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 3:59 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 4:01 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 4:14 am
Mischa TuffieldNov 5, 2010 4:47 am
Norman GrayNov 5, 2010 5:11 am
Dave ReynoldsNov 5, 2010 5:38 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:52 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 5:56 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:00 am
Vasiliy FaronovNov 5, 2010 6:33 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 7:17 am
David WoodNov 5, 2010 7:18 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 7:27 am
Ian DavisNov 5, 2010 8:12 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 8:18 am
NathanNov 5, 2010 8:39 am
Kingsley IdehenNov 5, 2010 9:35 am
Pat HayesNov 5, 2010 10:29 am
52 later messages
Subject:Re: Is 303 really necessary?
From:Kingsley Idehen (kide@openlinksw.com)
Date:Nov 4, 2010 12:12:30 pm
List:org.w3.public-lod

On 11/4/10 12:33 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Ian Davis<me@iandavis.com> wrote:

Hi all,

The subject of this email is the title of a blog post I wrote last night questioning whether we actually need to continue with the 303 redirect approach for Linked Data. My suggestion is that replacing it with a 200 is in practice harmless and that nothing actually breaks on the web. Please take a moment to read it if you are interested.

http://iand.posterous.com/is-303-really-necessary

In a purely personal capacity, I like the approach of just using 200, i.e. with RDFa or whatever, rather than 303. If we want to disambiguate URIs, the IRW ontology [1] offers a nice class called "nonInformationResource" and "InformationResource" that one can use to disambiguate. See this paper [2] on "an Ontology of Resources for Linked Data" for a walk-through example.

My reasoning is not architectural, but simply efficiency. It is rather inefficient to have a redirection in the form of a 303 if one can get the same info without using 303.

Yes, and a valid reason for making your choice :-) But as you state clearly, it remains a choice with regards to preferred technique.

All:

Where is the pointer (or URL) for a document that mandates 303's? The sense here being: 303 redirection as the only technique for delivering HTTP based Resolvable Names re. Linked Data.

Note that Microsoft's oData may one day be a serious competitor to Linked Data, and if you asked many programmers and open data people who are not already committed to RDF if they would use Atom + HTTP GET and no redirects over RDF/XML and a weird 303 redirect, I think the answer would be rather self-evident.

Microsoft doesn't see OData as Linked Data (the concept) competition. They see it as an alternative format for representing Linked Data via E-A-V model graphs :-) As you can see, in this universe of ours, everything is connected, nothing exist in absolute isolation.

Some key points re. OData;

1. It models electronic records rather than real world objects 2. OData modeling ultimately matches any modeling that fails to distinguish a Web Resource from a Real World Object (any Entity that exists in some form outside the Web medium) via fixation -- overt or inadvertent -- on two-thirds of the Referent, Identifier, Resource trinity.

Links:

1. http://dbpedia.org/page/Paris -- notice OData and friends (Atom or JSON variants) in the footer of this HTML+RDFa resource 2. http://dbpedia.org/describe/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris 3. http://uriburner.com/describe/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris -- Ditto 4. http://dbpedia-live.openlinksw.com/describe/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris -- Ditto 5. http://lod.openlinksw.com/describe/?uri=http://dbpedia.org/resource/Paris -- Ditto .

Cheers,

Regards,