atom feed10 messages in net.launchpad.lists.openstackRe: [Openstack] Performance metrics
FromSent OnAttachments
Neelakantam GaddamJun 20, 2012 5:56 am
Dan WendlandtJun 20, 2012 6:25 am
Sandy WalshJun 20, 2012 6:54 am
Rick JonesJun 20, 2012 9:36 am
Huang ZhitengJun 20, 2012 8:09 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 9:16 am
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 12:41 pm
Rick JonesJun 21, 2012 2:21 pm
Narayan DesaiJun 21, 2012 7:06 pm
Rick JonesJun 29, 2012 2:35 pm
Subject:Re: [Openstack] Performance metrics
From:Rick Jones (rick@hp.com)
Date:Jun 20, 2012 9:36:01 am
List:net.launchpad.lists.openstack

On 06/20/2012 05:56 AM, Neelakantam Gaddam wrote:

Hi All,

I want to do performance analysis on top of [openstack,Qauntum,openvswitch] setup. I am interested in the following metrics.

VM life cycle (creation, deletion, boot..,etc) VM Migration Quantum (network, port creation/deletion..,etc)

Are there any performance metric tools/scripts available in openstack ? If not, how can I do the performance analysis of the above metrics on openstack quantum setup ? Please help me regarding performance metrics.

I want to know details of the biggest deployment with [openstack,Qauntum,openvswitch] setup interms of number of tenant networks, number of compute nodes, number of VMs per tenant.

I do not have numbers I can share, but do have an interest in discussing methodology for evaluating "scaling" particularly as regards to "networking." My initial thoughts are simply starting with what I have done for "network scaling" on SMP systems (as vaguely instantiated in the likes of the runemomniaggdemo.sh script under http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/doc/examples/ ) though expanding it by adding more and more VMs/hypervisors etc as one goes.

While netperf (or its like) is simply a microbenchmark, and so somewhat removed from "reality" it does have the benefit of not (directly at least :) leaking anything proprietary about what is going-on in any one vendor's environment. And if something will scale well under the rigors of netperf workloads it will probably scale well under "real" workloads. Such scaling under netperf may not be necessary, but it should be sufficient.

happy benchmarking,