atom feed37 messages in net.sourceforge.lists.nagios-devel[Nagios-devel] Nagios is dead! Long l...
FromSent OnAttachments
Gerhard LausserMay 6, 2009 2:58 am
Christoph MaserMay 6, 2009 3:54 am
Andreas EricssonMay 6, 2009 4:13 am
Alexander WirtMay 6, 2009 5:53 am
Hendrik BaeckerMay 6, 2009 5:58 am
Andreas EricssonMay 6, 2009 7:12 am
Andreas EricssonMay 6, 2009 7:48 am
Ethan GalstadMay 6, 2009 8:55 am
Steven D. MorreyMay 6, 2009 9:27 am
Haydn solomonMay 6, 2009 11:21 am
Mathieu GagnéMay 6, 2009 11:33 am
Matthias FlackeMay 6, 2009 11:56 am
Steven D. MorreyMay 6, 2009 12:25 pm
Jeremy HanmerMay 6, 2009 12:59 pm
Andreas EricssonMay 6, 2009 1:47 pm
D. Emmanuel FeinsmithMay 6, 2009 2:15 pm
Steven D. MorreyMay 6, 2009 2:48 pm
Andreas EricssonMay 6, 2009 3:42 pm
Matthias FlackeMay 6, 2009 3:45 pm
sean finneyMay 7, 2009 12:22 am
Albrecht Dre?May 7, 2009 2:15 am
matthias ebleMay 7, 2009 2:19 am
Andreas EricssonMay 7, 2009 2:22 am
Andreas EricssonMay 7, 2009 4:32 am
Andreas EricssonMay 7, 2009 7:07 am
Ingo LantschnerMay 7, 2009 7:57 am
Hendrik BaeckerMay 7, 2009 9:52 am
Hendrik BaeckerMay 7, 2009 10:31 am
Mathieu GagnéMay 7, 2009 12:21 pm
Bernd ErkMay 7, 2009 12:23 pm
Andreas EricssonMay 8, 2009 12:19 am
Andreas EricssonMay 8, 2009 12:30 am
Andreas EricssonMay 8, 2009 12:42 am
Julian HeinMay 10, 2009 12:50 pm
Mark...@teliasonera.comMay 26, 2009 1:48 am
Andreas EricssonMay 26, 2009 3:21 am
Mark...@teliasonera.comMay 26, 2009 3:44 am
Subject:[Nagios-devel] Nagios is dead! Long live Icinga!
From:Gerhard Lausser (Gerh@consol.de)
Date:May 6, 2009 2:58:20 am
List:net.sourceforge.lists.nagios-devel

It was bound to happen. Today a group of fed up members of the Nagios community announced Icinga, "an Open Source Monitoring System, based on the well-known software Nagios". http://www.icinga.org/ I am a user of Nagios since the days it was called Netsaint. I saw Nagios grow and mature, installed it out of curiosity first, then to support small admin teams and finally I did projects at enterprise level. The latter was possible, when Nagios left the nerd niche and started to gain attention at upper management. This was around 2005. The first installations of proprietary monitoring software were being superseded by Nagios, articles were written, the first book on Nagios came out. The community was excited and eager to see Nagios be the number one in system monitoring. 2006 was the year of the first Nagios conference in Nuremberg, where we all had the chance to meet Ethan Galstad. A clever, canny person, who immediately gained the confidence of the community. Then, in 2008, things slowed down. Nagios 3.x was released, which was a great leap forward, but Ethan did not appear on the devel-mailinglist as often as he used to. His presentation about the future of Nagios at the annual conference was nearly the same as the year before. The NDO was still buggy. Neither the announced API nor the new web interface weren't even in an early state. After the conference, volunteers set up a git repository and a testing environment, willing to help with the considerably overdue Version 4. No reaction from the maintainer... Instead, a blog entry "2009 - The Run of the Dark Horse" appeared on the Nagios website. We read about "...Look to 2009 as the year in which Nagios will rise to the top of the competition and rightfully claim its spot as undisputed King of Monitoring..." which sounded very irritating in the face of a stagnant development and all these OpenNMS, Zabbix, HypericHQ, Zenoss creeping from their holes. It's not easy for a horse to win the race, when there's no Jockey. A lively discussion started. Some thought, Ethan had an ace up his sleeve. Insiders disabused them. Finally, in a grim sense of humor, the Posting was renamed to "2009 - The Run of the Dead Horse". Then, Ethan disappeared from the mailing list at all. Patches piled up, but no one was in charge. Instead, the operators of www.nagios-portal.de received a mail, where they were asked to not use the name "Nagios" any more. WTF????!?!? As I learned today, this was the moment, where concerned members of the Nagios community formed a group, who no longer wanted to look on helplessly. The plan was to clone the dead horse and light a fire under it's ass. Last week there was an event in Bolzano, Italy, where Ethan spoke about Nagios. With mingled feelings I jumped into the car and crossed the snowy alps, expecting to hear the talk about Nagios 4 for the third year in advance and an unrealistic hope to hear something new, I was being optimistic. Instead I learned that Nagios 3 will be final cut for a long time to come, with some minor bugfixes maybe. I learned about longevity, meaning that an Open Source project can only be successful if the author keeps up stamina all the time. I was laughing inside. A sarcastic laugh. So why am i writing this? I was not involved in the conspiracy, so the german nagios community asked me to write this mail and express my feelings from a neutral standpoint. I phoned and wrote a lot of mails today. I don't like what happened today. Nobody does, even Netways. But on the other side, I don't want to see Nagios going down the drain. I don't know how things will look in a couple of months. If Nagios gets it's act together, excellent. If not, I'll switch to Icinga.

Gerhard Lausser

p.s. Ethan, when we met in Bozen, you greeted me in a very cordially way. That makes it not easy for me to write this mail.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The NEW KODAK i700 Series Scanners deliver under ANY circumstances! Your production scanning environment may not be a perfect world - but thanks to Kodak, there's a perfect scanner to get the job done! With the NEW KODAK i700 Series Scanner you'll get full speed at 300 dpi even with all image processing features enabled. http://p.sf.net/sfu/kodak-com