atom feed88 messages in net.php.lists.internalsRe: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
FromSent OnAttachments
52 earlier messages
Moriyoshi KoizumiNov 5, 2003 9:51 am
Jani TaskinenNov 5, 2003 9:54 am
Jaap van GanswijkNov 5, 2003 10:07 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:12 am
Cesare D'AmicoNov 5, 2003 10:22 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 10:29 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:30 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 10:36 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:37 am
Andrei ZmievskiNov 5, 2003 10:39 am
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 10:56 am
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 11:03 am
Marco TabiniNov 5, 2003 11:11 am
Shane CaraveoNov 5, 2003 11:13 am
Michael WalterNov 5, 2003 12:26 pm
Greg MacLellanNov 5, 2003 12:40 pm
Robert CummingsNov 5, 2003 1:08 pm
David EndersonNov 5, 2003 1:20 pm
Sara GolemonNov 5, 2003 2:41 pm
George SchlossnagleNov 5, 2003 3:00 pm
Wez FurlongNov 5, 2003 4:06 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:07 pm
Ard BiesheuvelNov 5, 2003 5:27 pm
Christian SchneiderNov 5, 2003 5:50 pm
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 12:03 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 12:58 am
Kouber SaparevNov 6, 2003 1:25 am
Mike RobinsonNov 6, 2003 3:31 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 4:04 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:09 am
Alexey TrunyovNov 6, 2003 4:16 am
Ford, Mike [LSS]Nov 6, 2003 4:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 4:30 am
Andi GutmansNov 6, 2003 5:28 am
Sascha SchumannNov 6, 2003 5:46 am
Stig S. BakkenNov 6, 2003 6:33 am
Subject:Re: [PHP-DEV] Proposal: Array syntax
From:Andi Gutmans (an@zend.com)
Date:Nov 6, 2003 12:03:41 am
List:net.php.lists.internals

At 02:07 AM 11/6/2003 +0100, Christian Schneider wrote:

George Schlossnagle wrote:

George (thinking [] is pretty but disliking alternative syntaxes)

Ok, let me recap my short visit on this mailing list: 1) Dangling commas in function calls were considered bloat

No, not bloat. I was worried that they might bite us at some point in the future if/when we want to add some features to function calls. I don't see this as a crucial feature.

2) Adding the local vars to debug_backtrace() was silently ignored

Because I think most people probably don't have much of an opinion on this. Personally, it could maybe be an optional parameter.

3) A prettier array syntax was discarded because it's an alternative

I don't think it has been discarded yet. I usually object to this kind of stuff but I do see that it improves the readability of code enormously (IMO). I think the answers on this list were split. How about you write a realistic sample script both ways and post it to the list. I think the examples people gave on this list were not realistic. Give me any language feature and I can show you how ugly it can be made :)

On the other hand Sara Golemon wrote:

It's Perlish and ugly. It is *not* PHP syntax.

while e.g. private, catch, throw, final were introduced which are Javaesque and ugly. They are *not* PHP spirit of a simple language. But I didn't complain.

These features are a necessity for PHP to continue to compete in the web application development market.

After all this I guess I have to maintain my own PHP branch and hope for PHP6 to address some of my issues. Or switch to another language at some point, because a language to me is a tool, not a religion.

I don't think your issues are that serious that they require you to switch to a different language.

Andi